0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

IamMark
I've never painted a pick guard before, but it can't be any different than painting other plastics.

The problem is pick guards are gloss finish or smooth, so if you just apply paint on top any scratch or chip will eventually lead to the rest of the paint peeling. You'll need to get some fine grit sandpaper (400 grain or higher) and sand down the pick guard so you have a rough surface the paint can adhere to.

Also make sure whatever paint you use is meant for plastics. If the paint doesn't give you the gloss finish you'really wanting, a light even coat of poly should help.

Again, I've never done it before, so wait until you get a second opinion on technique before you do it.
IamMark
I should also add, that with anything using spray paint, you may need to paint several coats to get a smooth finish. Depending on how much sanding you did originally on the pick guard, you may have to paint; let it dry completely; lightly sand with 600 grit paper; apply another coat; repeat as desired.

Once you get it to where you think you like the finish, take 600 grit paper and wet sand the pick guard and then apply one last coat. Then apply the poly coat(s).
2nick3
Any concerns about cracking the paint around the screws and controls? I'd think that any cracks that form there would only get worse over time, with the vibration that is going to be happening.

I have thought of getting a plain white pick guard for my project bass and having a graphic artist friend of mine do a design on it. There are some dyes/inks that would work on the plastic, and then the design be in the plastic rather than on the surface of it. Anyone try anything along those lines?
Marko1960
I once painted a snare drum, it was a wood shell with a blue pearloid wrap on it. I used a grey scotch pad to roughen the surface then applied automotive acrylic spray paint in several light coats, colour sanding the final coat with #1200 wet and dry using plenty of water then using rubbing compound to get a high gloss. It was my sons drum and he decided a couple of years later that he wanted the paint back off…WHAT A TWAT IT WAS TO REMOVE!! took me ages. Alternatively, check out ‘Hydrographic Printing’ on Youtube, you can get the kits from ebay and theres some real snazzy designs, such as, Camo, Carbon Fibre, Checkerplate and Jelly Beans to name but a few
MotorMog
Sprayed the pick guard and truss rod cover of an epi goth with no problems as wanted to match the bodies flat black finish.
Couple of coats of Halfords (automotive) grey primer and then 4-5 coats of flat black job done

Patience between the coats (days) is literally the key!

Leiria
So sanding is unnecessary then?
MotorMog
Quote:

was in my case

I was intialy concerned that the primer wouldn't attach itself to the plastic without sanding but it did

You could always spray a test patch on the underside of your pick guard and see how it performs
Marko1960
Quote:
Use a Grey Scotch Pad to give it a key, you'll get one from your local automotive store. Dont get a red one as they are much coarser
Marko1960
…also, use Etch Primer for the first couple of coats…

BOSH
IamMark
Marko - I will be sourcing some hardwoods this winter and start up my next build in February. I will be making my own neck for this one, so your recent build will be most helpful to me.

How is your latest coming along?

Reply to this thread