0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Amp Watts???

Rastamon
12 years ago
Report this message
I'm deciding between a Gallien Kruger MB12 (500 Watts) or an MB10 (200 Watts). Obviously the 500 Watts cost more $$$ but I'd like to have the better Amp. I only play alone or at a friends house (who has a better amp). My question is; Should I shell out the extra $ for the 500 Watts? Or is 200 Watts enough?
Thanks
Sidsquishus
Hey Rastamon,
I'm not sure what products you are asking about as I was not able to find an MB10 or MB12 at Musician's Friend or the Gallien Krueger web sites, but I think you are talking about a combo - amp and speaker in a single unit.

I haven't used a GK combo, but I use an MB500 (500 watts) to drive a 1x15 and 4x10 stack, and I have more power than I need. Based on that, I would guess that 200 watts will be entirely satisfactory for your purposes.

Some additional thoughts: if you are talking about a combo unit, I think speaker size (diameter) is as important as amp power. Bigger speakers produce more powerful and lower sounds - bigger speakers are better in my opinion.

I did notice that GK now has a combo with four 10“ speakers - the MB410, which also has a 500 watt MB amp. The MB410 is more expensive than either of the ones you are thinking of, but you should consider the MB410 if you have any plans/hopes of playing in a band. You could add cabinet with a 15” speaker down the road and then you would have all the stack you would likely ever need. You would need to make sure that you can add a 1x15 cabinet to the MB410 - which I could not find out at Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, or the GK web sites.

Hope that helps you! Cheers.
Rastamon
Great feedback and it stresses my dilemma. 200watts are probably enough for now but if I plan to play in a band a couple years from now, I'm wondering should I go the Stack route instead of the Combo.
I'll check out the speaker size too…good point

Here are the 2 amps on Amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/Gallien-Krueger-MB210-Ultralight-Guitar-Combo/dp/B001R23G1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338056602&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Gallien-Krueger-MB115-Ultralight-Guitar-Combo/dp/B001R23G1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1338056637&sr=1-1
Sidsquishus
Both the amps you mentioned are combos. The MB210 has a 500 watt amp built into a cabinet with two 10“ speakers (a 2x10, hence the 210 designation). The MB115 has a 200 watt amp and one 15” speaker.

The MB410 combo would give you two thirds of a full stack - a 500 watt amp and a 4x10 cabinet in one unit. I think you could later, if you wished, add an extension cabinet (e.g. a 1x15). However, I am not positive you can run an extension cabinet off the 410 - my experience says you could, but I can't find any info to confirm that the MB410 comes ready to drive an extension cabinet.

The MB410 runs about $150 more than the combos you are thinking about.

If you are interested in the MB410, you should contact GK and ask if you can connect an 8 ohm extension cabinet to the MB410.

I bought a combo (120 watts and a 15" speaker) my first go round. I subsequently went through several rounds of upgrades in equipment. I would have saved money had I just bought a better, but more expensive, rig the first time out.

Cheers.
Rastamon
Ok, I'll take a closer look and consider my options…Appreciate your advice
BassLady
I started with a 100w unit but once I started gigging, I went up to a 300w one. IMHO 500w is too much if your playing at home but might be needed if you are playing out with a loud band.
If you are playing in a small club, bar or resturant…watts is not that important. Good tone and a good balance between all band members is what is important. My last gig i used a peavey head, and a hartke 1-15 cabinet, both guitarists used a 60 watt fender and a 60 watt line 6 amp…even balancing everyone with the drums and P.A….halfway through the first set the Cops came in with a noise complaint from the surrounding neighborhood.
Most bigger venues I have played at usually have a backline of amps already set up through the house P.A. and want the bass player to either go direct, or use the house amp, .

Also…always go to a gig with a good direct box…there's is always a chance that your amp will die for some reason or another, at least you can continue on through your band's P.A. system.
I am happly gigging in night clubs with a GK MB115. I know some hardcore bass guys who have a big amp head and a stack…they are really cool but are really heavy and bulky. The MB115 is a peice of cake to haul and set up and and in most cases a small amp with the volume at 50-75% sounds better than a big amp set at 20%. If you get to the point you need that much volume your band will be running everything into the PA anyway. I suggest you pick the amp up and cary it across the store before you buy anything. Sound is the most important thing but you can easily find a light weight amp that sounds great.
Rastamon
Yeah, I just checked my friends Guitar Amp and it's only 75Watts…Sounds much louder than that so I think I'll get the 200Watt Amp and just buy a Peddle or something with the $$ I'll save.
Appreciate all the feedback…Very helpful
Rastamon
Wound up going w/ the 200W Amp. Seems loud enough…True test will come on Thursday when I play w/ a Drummer for the 1st time.

Reply to this thread