0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Playing fenders without a pick guard

Hoosefosses
This question is more out of just being bored from being stuck in the house so long,LOL ANYWAY; HOW MANY IF YOU PREFER TO PLAY YOUR FENDER BASS WITHOUT THE PICKGUARD? I have a Mexican standard jazz with the usual black finish that I think looks WAAAY more metal with the guard off of it and the screws in just for looks( and so I don't lose them,lol) I'm just curious to see who else does this
johnny880
Quote:
This question is more out of just being bored from being stuck in the house so long,LOL ANYWAY; HOW MANY IF YOU PREFER TO PLAY YOUR FENDER BASS WITHOUT THE PICKGUARD? I have a Mexican standard jazz with the usual black finish that I think looks WAAAY more metal with the guard off of it and the screws in just for looks( and so I don't lose them,lol) I'm just curious to see who else does this
I dont really know what you are saying. I play with my fingers. My pickguards I use is only to make my BASS look pretty. NO other reason for a pickguard for me. I look at my bass and say. Damn you look good lets play…
2nick3
The basses I have without pickguards are designed to not have one - the pickup covers/surrounds are designed to hide the pickup cavities completely and the control cavity is on the back of the bass. Having the openings around the pickups exposed would drive me crazy. Sharp edges, unfinished areas, open cavities, dirt and dust building up - that is not my look (I try to keep my basses looking like they did when they were built).

Which doesn't matter at all if you like it.

Maybe highlight it even more? Shiny metallic paint in the routed areas, or copper shielding tape, and maybe swap the wires to colors that would pop. It's not like you can't put the pickguard back on and hide it later if you needed to!

Your basses should make you want to pick them up and play. We all hear that call differently!
I bought a new Presicion bass back in the 70s first thing I done was remove pick guard. Not sure why but I did. I think I preferred to rest my thumb on the pickup
Well, i can say, that on some guitars (like my old guitar) it is mainly there to secure the wiring. The pickups are also screwed onto it, and thereby, you need some tools. I can advise kitchen tools .
Quote:
I bought a new Presicion bass back in the 70s first thing I done was remove pick guard. Not sure why but I did. I think I preferred to rest my thumb on the pickup
Quote:
I bought a new Presicion bass back in the 70s first thing I done was remove pick guard. Not sure why but I did. I think I preferred to rest my thumb on the pickup. Oops just realized pick guard I didn't remove pick guard but pickup cover.

Reply to this thread