0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Storing basses

The Bassist
My work schedule has changed and I dont have as much free time as I used to. Needless to say, I haven't played bass in probably over a month or maybe two and I dont see that changing in the foreseeable future. What precautions should I take in storing my basses until my schedule changes and I can play again? Like should I remove their batteries or what?
Marko1960
It can't hurt to remove the battery I suppose but people tend to think of guitars as fragile objects, like Quayle eggs, nonesense, as long as it's not in direct sunlight or next to a radiator it'll be fine and a case will stop the dog chewing it! And don't slacken the strings as some people will tell you, the strings and truss rod are balancing each other out in keeping the neck stable. You could always send them to me and I'll look after them
mr zee
I used to have mine hung up on hangers but got fed up of dusting em, I have nine, so they are all in hard cases now stood on there ends. As for battery removal, if they r older batteries they might leak and corrode the connections but generally u should be ok.
Store your basses at a moderate temperature and humidity level, just like in an average living room. Leave the strings on under normal tension, as they have always been on since the instrument was made.

Plus store them together. Otherwise they'll feel lonely.
Thanks all for your input. They are in my bedroom in their cases, I may take their batteries out if I can remember or feel like it.
MotorMog
Quote:
Thanks all for your input. They are in my bedroom in their cases, I may take their batteries out if I can remember or feel like it.

Take em out

johnny [staff]
Quote:
And don't slacken the strings as some people will tell you, the strings and truss rod are balancing each other out in keeping the neck stable.

This is very important!
Marko1960
Quote:
Quote: And don't slacken the strings as some people will tell you, the strings and truss rod are balancing each other out in keeping the neck stable. This is very important!

Muy importanté, as they say in Vladivostok, I'll explain: the strings on a bass can apply up to 80 pounds of pressure on the neck, the truss rod is a steel rod, anchored at one end with an adjustment nut at the other, the rod is set in a curved recess inside the neck, when it's tightened it straightens out taking the neck with it in the opposite direction that the strings are pulling.

Every day is a school day
Both are in and will remain in tunings they have been set up for. The five string is in B standard and the four string C# standard (possibly CF#BE, cant remember if I put the C back to C#).

Reply to this thread