0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

how the heck am i supposed to do this

purplez
Quote:
Just looking at what Johnny is saying, who else feels they just arent good enough? This has dogged me for years, I know I'll never be Billy Sheehan but I can keep the rhythm moving along, it haunts me that I 'm not standing out, to a point that makes me ask the question, “What the f k am I doing here?”

Same here, I'll probably never be as good as whoever, its annoying & I wish I had started to play when I was a kid.
My hands are often so slow climbing up the neck that I have to play across the strings, yet you get other people can move around bass like its a 6string guitar, I know I'm just not good enough as I'd like to be.
Quote:
Quote: Just looking at what Johnny is saying, who else feels they just arent good enough? This has dogged me for years, I know I'll never be Billy Sheehan but I can keep the rhythm moving along, it haunts me that I 'm not standing out, to a point that makes me ask the question, “What the f k am I doing here?” Same here, I'll probably never be as good as whoever, its annoying & I wish I had started to play when I was a kid.My hands are often so slow climbing up the neck that I have to play across the strings, yet you get other people can move around bass like its a 6string guitar, I know I'm just not good enough as I'd like to be.
I started playing bass at 50. I never played a stringed instrument before. Some keyboard in my teens, that was all. I know I'm a mediocre bassist, but I don't care. There's more in life than bass playing. I'm perfectly happy with my playing level.
Leiria
Don't worry about technique. There are a lot of great bassists who weren't crazy players. What matters is how it fits in not how good of a player your hands make you look like. Besides I honestly find most of these “insane” players to be pretty boring. I'll take someone like Mike Starr who plays in the pocket and adds some cool licks and fills when the time is right than Jaco or Sheehan or someone like that any day
This thread reminds me. A little bit ago I had a guy comment on one of my videos about how I wasn't playing the song the correct way. A month later when I finally decided to respond to him I explained, as I often to to those who notice, that I almost never do exactly what the tabs say to do because alot of times they call for something slightly beyond my abilities so I simplify riffs to make them easier to play or remember. His response was something to the effect of “dont be lazy”. I asked for a explanation and he produced the following rant:

“Well if only you were doing it your own way for no other reason then wanting to I can respect that but the fact that the wrong section you are doing it actually harder then what is being played says your motivations are not what you report them to be. You can't figure out that section or you figured it out wrong. At 3:17 through 3:25 in your video the notes are more or less right but after that the bass breaks form the riff and plays along the G root note before doing something else also more easy then the main riff you are playing. And the riff you are playing needs to be played with Tremolo picking or constant picking not single notes. We don't play things because they are easy, no pain no gain and the point about the part you are playing wrong that is more easy if you played it right tells me your agreement is not based on what you said but rather my observation of being lazy. Sorry to break it to you but I've been playing since 1982 and a two or three year student it not really going to be able to make excuses and pull the wool over my eyes that I will take as valid. Sorry, you asked.”

Its long I know. I see this and im like wtf? “We dont do things because they're easy”? Really? Ok then, no alternate picking you f***ing cheater. I can tell you from my “two or three years” of experience that it makes tremolo picking way to easy, and that's coming from someone who used to exclusively downpick. I told him if it bothered him that much he should just tab out his version and I would redo it.

Im still waiting on those tabs.
Marko1960
He sounds a bit anal retentive, I bet he washes his car a certain way, wax on, left hand, wax off, right testicle
Marko1960
And another thing, tabs are only a guide, unlike standard notation they cant show things like note duration, rests, slides etc, so how does he know you were playing the tab wrong, you were just playing your interpretation of it. One last thing, Duff McKagan cant play bass like Billy Sheehan, but he played bass for one of the biggest rock bands of the 20th century…did Billy?
Quote:
And another thing, tabs are only a guide, unlike standard notation they cant show things like note duration, rests, slides etc, so how does he know you were playing the tab wrong, you were just playing your interpretation of it.

He was technically correct about this, I dont dispute that the part in question is done with tremolo but Ive never been very good at tremolo picking on multiple strings and frets. I think the tabs called for two notes per fret per string but I only did one. Basically Im not fast enough so I figured one note would work which I believe it does. So while a more capable person can play two notes I play one and make it fill the space of two. Also he shot me a link to his version which I didn't really watch.
purplez
Play it your way.
I play like that.
So if when tabs say jump up and play a B at the 7th fret from F at the 1st fret, I just play a B on A string.
I have small hands, so for example a minor 3rd is easier for me to play lower down than going up for it.

Is there a correct way to play a cover song?
Unless you are the original bass player or in a covers band and need 100% accuracy what does it really matter.?

Also, what happened to lefty O.P.? his thread has developed mightily from what it began as..

Quote:
Play it your way.I play like that. So if when tabs say jump up and play a B at the 7th fret from F at the 1st fret, I just play a B on A string.I have small hands, so for example a minor 3rd is easier for me to play lower down than going up for it.Is there a correct way to play a cover song? Unless you are the original bass player or in a covers band and need 100% accuracy what does it really matter.?Also, what happened to lefty O.P.? his thread has developed mightily from what it began as..
There are roughly three types of covers:
1) 100% every note and same sound,
2) Recognizable, but played in the style and sound of the cover band,
3) Completely different musical style (punk rock cover of Beatles song).
I'm in both the second and third categories. Sometimes I simplify, because I'm not Geddy Lee, nor Steve Harris. Sometimes I add little licks, because I can.
Guinny
I prefer to play a song the way that it was written. I never feel completely satisfied unless I know a song inside and out. This is not to say that I do not improvise once I've learned a song, but I always try to ensure that I am playing a song the way that it was written.

Watch Peter Hook show the correct way to play "Love will Tear Us Apart. Laddie is a lefty too.

Reply to this thread