0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

injured finger on fret hand

BDF
about 2 years ago I sliced the heck outta my ring finger on my left hand. it's still extremely painful to fret with it, the cut was right across my finger tip (4 stitches). I'm basically fretting w. 3 fingers and now that I'm getting better and learning more complex songs (no offense Dee Dee Ramone) I don't want to develop bad habits.

any ideas on what I can do?
BDF
thanks in advance btw.
Scott Grove uses a glove on his fretting hand. Not sure why or what kind of glove, but it may help.
Leiria
Scott Grove has focal distonia (muscle related) and the glove enables him to play. He took it off in one video to show what it was like without it and he could barely play anything
IamMark
Has the skin completely grown back? I would imagine that over time the finger tip will develop a callous again.

Is there something you can put on the finger tip like one of those rubber finger tips that envelope stuffers use? Or does pressure give you the pain?

There's nothing wrong with fretting with only three fingers. Most upright bass players only use three (index, ring, pinkie). You can embrace that or re-train your hand to now bring the middle finger back into the show. Practice, practice, practice will be needed to avoid old playing habits.
LoudLon [moderator]
Tony Iommi (guitarist for Black Sabbath) is missing two fingertips on his fretting hand and employs a pair of prosthetic fingertips. If he can find a way to make it work, so can you.

There are a lot of options out there. A rubber thimble, a finger glove, a small pad or band-aid, that kind of thing.
Leiria
I agree with what has been said. You've got to experiment a bit and find what works best for you. Also are you sure it's normal for it to still hurt that much after 2 years?
I don't get how an injury of two years ago can still be painful, but that may be lack of knowledge. Did you seek medical advice?
Quote:
Scott Grove has focal distonia (muscle related) and the glove enables him to play. He took it off in one video to show what it was like without it and he could barely play anything
Thanks for the info

Quote:
I don't get how an injury of two years ago can still be painful, but that may be lack of knowledge. Did you seek medical advice?
He likely sliced a nerve. I cut the side of my pointer finger to the bone 30 years ago. It still is tender if I press on it.

Do they make finger condoms for musicians?
BDF
Quote:

I had/have nerve damage - it doesn't hurt all the time, just when i do certain things - especially on the D and G strings…G is literally torture.

I may try to just use index,middle and pinky. thanks all!
As a double bass player, I only use my ring finger to lend support to my little finger. This is standard practice. I have no left thumb (fret hand) though I still feel it's there 14 years after amputation.

Reply to this thread