0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

The poll for advice about bass effects

Sidsquishus
I agree - overdrive, and a good dose of it; not all the way to distortion but well beyond the warm tubes sound. I'll have to plug in some of my pedals to see if I have anything that gets this sound, but two that might are the T-Rex Bass Juice and the IdiotBox Blower Box. Another that I don't have but might give this sound is the One Control Hooker's Green Bassmachine.

a demo of the bass juice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLN8k2gkZPY

a demo of the blowerbox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIFevxp-1Q

the bassmachine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHTk_xikJqc
Leiria
From those and other demo videos Ill problably get the bass juice. Sounds great and in a couple of demos seemed very close. Its pretty expensive though. Thanks a lot anyways
Marko1960
I'm a big fan of Interpols Carlos Dengler, he never used any pedals, that said, a compressor pedal is essential to any bass player, especially where slap and pop is concerned
Sidsquishus
Quote:
From those and other demo videos Ill problably get the bass juice. Sounds great and in a couple of demos seemed very close. Its pretty expensive though. Thanks a lot anyways

You might consider searching through the effects forum on TalkBass.com to see what other bassists think of the Bass Juice. I've done this, and the Bass Juice is not as well-liked as many other overdrive/distortion pedals. Personally, I really like the Bass Juice. I suspect that the reason more bassist don't like it is that it doesn't let much treble through (in fact hardly any). So it is a very warm, vintage sound and not at all bright and fizzy.

I got mine used on ebay. There is a classified section on TalkBass and a subforum for selling effects. Usually pretty good prices, but many sellers are in the US and are leery of shipping outside the continental US. But worth a try. There's a similar bass forum in the UK (BassChat) and probably others in Europe; there might be for sale listings in these European forums.

Last thing about the Bass Juice - I had a problem with my used one (took two or more stomps to get the switch to work). I contacted T-Rex, swapped out the switch as they suggested, and still had the problem. They asked me to send it to them and T-Rex fixed it for free, even though it was a used pedal and not under warranty any more. Great product support. Insured shipping to Europe was on the expensive side, but the repair didn't cost anything.

And just for fun, you might go to YouTube and check out the SolidGold Effects Beta, the Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop, and the DarkGlass Electronics overdrive pedals (Vintage Microtubes, B3K, B7K….)
Sidsquishus
Quote:
I'm a big fan of Interpols Carlos Dengler, he never used any pedals, that said, a compressor pedal is essential to any bass player, especially where slap and pop is concerned

Pedals are fun to play with, and can be essential if you are trying to replicate a specific sound (e.g. Steven Severin from Siouxsie, Will Shatter from Flipper) but I agree with Marko: pedals not required for great sounding bass.
Marko1960
Of course you could do away with pedals by getting a Line 6 Lowdown modelling amp, they're amazing
Youri
Quote:
Pedals are so much fun :p
You can get such amazing sounds by combining them or just make your sound a little more powerfull or whatever you want by using a subtle effect

Reply to this thread