0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

How do I tie in modes and pentatonics together?

purplez
10 years ago
Report this message
Tabs:
G|---------5---7--------------------------|
D|-------5---7----------------------------|
A|-----5---7------------------------------|
E|---5----8-------------------------------|

Like that shape, how do I know which mode it relates to? could it be Aeolian or Phrygian…?

& what do the other 4 pentatonic scales relate to modally?
does anyone know? I've looked all over the net and can't find the answer for this yet.
Marko1960
To be totally honest I haven't got a clue, I get by with major and minor scales and pentatonic scales but you seem to have higher ambitions than I do. There's a thing I always say to people when getting involved in music theory which is, ‘Paul McCartney can’t read a single note of music' Nuff said
purplez
Quote:
To be totally honest I haven't got a clue, I get by with major and minor scales and pentatonic scales but you seem to have higher ambitions than I do. There's a thing I always say to people when getting involved in music theory which is, ‘Paul McCartney can’t read a single note of music' Nuff said

McCartney really can't read sheet! I am surprised by that…
purplez
I like theory because it kinda keeps my brain active..

I think I may have solved my own puzzle?

Take pentatonic in C
C= ionian
D= dorian
E= phrygian
G= mixolydian
A= aeolian

Is this correct?
Sidsquishus
It's all Greek to me.
purplez
I found this..

http://www.folkblues.com/theory/penta_patterns1.htm

Its really for 6 string guitar, but the idea is the same.. if you want to add modes into your pentatonics.
johnny [staff]
Quote:
I like theory because it kinda keeps my brain active.. I think I may have solved my own puzzle? Take pentatonic in C C= ionian D= dorian E= phrygian G= mixolydian A= aeolianIs this correct?

Yes this is correct. The C major pentatonic has these notes: C D E G A

Depending on where you start you get its mode.

C D E G A (Ionian)
D E G A C (Dorian)
E G A C D (Phrygian)
G A C D E (Mixolydian)
A C D E G (Aeloian)

As the pentatonic scale only has five notes, it also only has 5 modes.
johnny [staff]
Quote:

If you know the major and minor scale then you already know two modes Modes are just generalizations of the major and minor scale. Try play the C major scale throught starting from each of the notes and you'll hear the difference in the feeling of the scale.
IamMark
Aeolian?

venom502
http://www.musicopedia.com/scales/4-bass.php

Maybe it'll help someone who hadn't already known about it. You can find chords there too!

Reply to this thread