0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Scales and corresponding genres (generally speaking)

TarkZ
10 years ago
Report this message
So I'm really starting to explore the world of scales and I'm sure as you all know, some scales go really well with certain types of “genres.”
If you're up for it, I think it would be nice to compile a list of scales and their “corresponding” genres. Don't worry, I'm not asking you to tab them out. The name of the scale should work just fine.

Myself, I hang out in pentatonic scales (major and minor). It seems to be a natural scale for blues and funk.

But I want to be more versatile just like most bass players. So if you have any thoughts they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
TarkZ
pentatonic scales go good with metal for the most part.
C major and Db/C# major are good with metal.
TarkZ
I use pentatonic a lot for funk and I use octaves heavily, never tried it with metal. Never tried metal for that matter, aside from a few maiden songs. Do you any good sites that show some good finger exercises for speed, or am I way off in my thought process?
Thanks for the reply
Marko1960
The Pentatonic scale is also known as the Blues scale, its just the Major scale with the 4th and 7th intervals left out, and to go Minor just Flat the 3rd Interval. For Jazz try Lydian scales

Reply to this thread