0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

To NEW bass players Important info

gamereviewerman
12 years ago
Report this message
i have been playing bass for quite some time now and i want to share my info to the new players out there or who want to get into playing. #1 when choosing your bass always go for a name brand of quality no crescent or first act basses they are crap. go to a music store. i also recommend craigslist. i bought my first bass for 100$ on the site. it was a yamaha. i think most of you should go for a four string or a five if you feel up to it. #2 getting a bass amp is important it must be a bass amp. a 15watt amp will work. usually around 50 to 100 dollars. this will be good for practicing. if you use a guitar amp you are really missing out on a good tone. #3 tuners- they can get quite expensive but a good tuner will only cost 40-50 bucks. #4 learning- one of the easiest ways to start is either taking lessons or teaching yourself. if you are offered lessons or advice TAKE IT. if you want to learn yourself there are many videos on youtube and theres this site that offers finger exercises and progressions. I also Implore you to teach yourself simple music reading skills. not every song is on tab and it will help you if you want to get into other instruments down the road. If anyone else has a thing to add if i am missing something please add to my list.
Cleaned Up Version:
I have been playing bass for quite some time now and I want to share my info to the new players out there or people who want to get into playing.
  1. When choosing your bass always go for a name brand of quality. No Crescent or First Act basses: they're crap. Go to a music store or Craigslist. I bought my first Yamaha bass for $100 there. I think most of you should go for a four string or a five if you feel up to it.

2. Getting a bass amp is important as it must be a bass amp. A 15-watt amp will work, they're usually around $50 to $100. This will be good for practicing. If you use a guitar amp you are really missing out on a good tone.

3. Tuners - They can get quite expensive but a good tuner will only cost $40-$50.

4. Learning - One of the easiest ways to start is either taking lessons or teaching yourself. If you are offered lessons or advice: TAKE IT. If you want to learn by yourself there are many videos on YouTube and there are sites that offers finger exercises and progressions.

5. I also implore you to teach yourself simple music reading skills. Not every song is on tab and it will help you if you want to get into other instruments down the road.

6. (Edit) Also, learning to tune and play songs by ear is a vital skill for making yourself a better bassist. If you want standard tuning and your E string is in tune, hold down the 5th fret and play the next string open. When you don't hear any vibration between the two tones, you are in tune. Repeat going down the strings until you're totally in tune.
thanks for the cleanup. not really a huge fan of the tune method you described i use it if i have to but i always seem to get the g string a g sharp. otherwise it works and will get you in the right zone.
g33kuk
My sister has a clip on electronic tuner for her ukulele which works wonders on my bass, and they inexpensive! It works by feeling the vibrations through the instrument. Can tune up easily unplugged
tbducote
thanks for the great advice! I have been trying to learn to play for a couple of years and that is the best advice I have gotten. This website rocks and luckily I do know how to read music…but oh my gosh, the tabs are allowing me to have fun while I am learning the sheet music versions.
johnny [staff]
It's good advice but it's also missing one important thing: a metronome or something that keeps the rhythm (a drum machine can be less boring than metronome). It really pays off to practice with a metronome.
otis1952
do you have any black gospel bass tabs i could get i cant find any help. like quartet bass music thanks
musicstew
And if anyone is of the age, it is also a great idea to be an Intern at your local shop, you may not be getting payed, but you still get to help out and learn as you go along.
I'm 100% certain that you would have to pay me to spend hours out of my day around the people who work at my local music shop, it's painful just going in there.
TarkZ
Quote:
I'm 100% certain that you would have to pay me to spend hours out of my day around the people who work at my local music shop, it's painful just going in there.

Amen.
when i first got my bass videos by Dmanlamius76 on youtube were a great help to me the guy is an excelent teacher definatly check out his stuff

Reply to this thread