0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Metal bass tone

gaby65648
Hi! I'm new to bass and i'd like to know how to get a bass tone in the kind of nirvana, ratm or jason newsted from metallica. I'm using a squier pj bass with a b1xon and a fender rumble 25 watt amp. Thanks in advance!
Ares
When I first started playing bass I wanted that tone so bad as well. Its part playing and part amp/knobs. For amp, boost your mids alot and treble a bit. Using the clock system, 12 is normal, try putting mids to 3 maybe 4 and treble 1 maybe 2, if you still sound a little to bloomy, boost your mids and treble more. Keep bass at normal. I always put my guitar knobs at full but you may like the tone you get from slightly decreasing your precision pickup. New strings help as well, I use rotosound strings.

For playing style, play around the neck pickup (precision pickup) and play hard, dig in, which doesn't mean play loud for say, I mean to be rough come down with your fingers with some strength in your right hand. For some reason, I always get a better “metal tone” with my fingers, a pick always sounds a little more bloomy although everyone told me otherwise. But I suggest you try playing with a pick as well and see what sounds better for you.

When you say metal tone, I assume you mean something like these. Both of these are played with pick, but I have no problem using my fingers and getting that tone, again try both pick and fingers and dig in.

Do i have to put some distortion on it?
Ares
Have to? No. Could it help? Maybe, but definitely not necessary.
A little distortion or fuzz and a lot of compression are my main ingredients for most metal. Hereunder are three links: one to Geddy Lee's isolated bass tone, one to Steve Harris' isolated bass tone and one to one of my cover songs.

Marko1960
Roll back the volume and dial up the gain
MotorMog
Quote:
Roll back the volume and dial up the gain

Yep that will usually give you a nice overdriven sound but not out of a 25watt amp though

A combination of the Big Muff patch and Ampeg SVT cab simulator on your effects pedal should do it though
Marko1960
Found a few sets of GHS Bass Boomers B E A D sets 70-140 gauge strings on eBay, 27 quid ish

Reply to this thread