0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Ray Manzarek R.I.P.

bassm99
11 years ago
Report this message
Very sad news that Ray Manzarek the keyboard player from The Doors has passed away. The Doors were one of the biggest Rock bands in the 60's & their legend grew as each decade passed. While Jim was the iconic frontman & pinup for many, the 3 guys behind him were such talented musicians. Hear that classic sound of “Light My Fire” from Ray's keyboard, one of Rock's brightest moments. Hopefully Ray & Jim will now be jamming on the other side!
johnny [staff]
The keyboard solo on “Light My Fire” really is one of the most iconic keyboard solos of all time in my opinion.

on a side note: With all these rock legends dying, these forums will soon turn into obituaries.
TheDude [staff]
yeah i don't like this trend of everyone dying.
bassm99
I hope this is it for a while with such legends passing away. I'd rather talk bass than death on here!
Sidsquishus
I also was saddened to hear of Ray's death. He made some incredible contributions through his music. While I do like The Doors generally, it was Ray's embracing the LA punk band X that first made me sit up and give the man a nod of respect. He produced and played on their first album (Los Angeles). His keyboard work on Nausea makes the song - takes it from good into absolutely capturing the emotion. I will think of Ray every time I listen to Nausea.
Ray wrote some great basslines with the Doors and was an amazing musician handling the Fender Keyboard Bass with his left hand and simultaneously playing electric piano/organ with his right. In my opinion, Ray was one of the top keyboard players in the history of the rock/blues genre. RIP
icehouse1
Bit late with this but a very sad loss for music, RIP Ray

Reply to this thread