0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Modification of headstock for better balance

Marko1960
I used to own one, it wasn't a Stienberger, made from carbon graphite, it was a high quality copy made by Hohner. It was made from one piece of maple with EMG pick ups and the double ball end strings never went out of tune. I've never found that tone on any bass I've used since
That's the reason why I want to build a headless, neckthrough, fretless, 35 inch bass.
Marko1960
Just do it, you will probably be looking at €250-300 for a bridge and headpiece, and the through neck design isn't as straightforward as it sounds but I know you're up for it so just roll your sleeves up and get stuck in….oh yeah, forget the sleeves bit
Quote:
Just do it, you will probably be looking at €250-300 for a bridge and headpiece, and the through neck design isn't as straightforward as it sounds but I know you're up for it so just roll your sleeves up and get stuck in….oh yeah, forget the sleeves bit
Haha! I certainly won't start building this year. I'm pretty busy with my job and other things, like bass playing and moderating a bass forum.

There's a lot I have to figure out before starting. Things I like to address beforehand, are the radius of the fingerboard and pickups. I can do this by purposeful testing at music stores. Money isn't the first concern. I'm not in a hurry, so I'm also enjoying the research before the actual building.
Marko1960
Well myself and IamMark are here with advice as and when required
Always good to know there's backup.
By the way, did you see this? http://home.online.nl/blablas/bass/index.htm
He's a Dutchman who builds his own lefties from scratch. I never met him in person, but he posts the complete process of each and every bass he builds, starting with the purchase of the wood.
Marko1960
Wow, some very nice original designs, Talk Bass (spit) Forums have a challenge to build a workable bass for under $100, this is a great place to start, there are no rules
Quote:
Wow, some very nice original designs, Talk Bass (spit) Forums have a challenge to build a workable bass for under $100, this is a great place to start, there are no rules
I didn't come across that challenge on TB. I'm not frequently posting there anymore. Instead I invest some time in a spin-off, named BassTalk247. It's a bunch of guys who were fed-up by the way TB is moderated. I wanted to give it a chance, so I got involved. Yeah, I know it's competition, kind of, but I buy my basses from different stores too.
Anyway, I'll have a look at said challenge…
IamMark
I hope to start my next build around Christmas time.

4 string maple neck, maple finger board with active electronics.

Need to come up with a design first.
Marko1960
It'll be after Christmas for me Mark, I've found a local supplier of hardwoods, he's actually a boat builder but has loads of stuff that he sells cheap, a customer of mine put me onto him, he bought a very nice one piece Mahogany body blank for £20, I need to start bass number twos neck from scratch again. Act in haste, repent at liesure

Reply to this thread