0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Resident Reggae Expert?

Another tip for the reggae players. Play on the neck pickup, away from the bridge to get that heavy sound, using fingers instead of picks. Family Man talks alot about hitting his strings “softly” with the volume way up and the highs way down. He uses Eden amps and I have found them great for getting that roots bass sound. Another great album to check out is the Late Great King Tubby, or anything with Roots Radics (Flabba on bass). If you can find any rocksteady with Jackie Jackson on bass, download it, listen, meditate on it, and play. Moving forward to the 2nd wave of ska, you gotta love David Steele from the English Beat, Horace Panter from the Specials, and old UB40 stuff with Earl Falconer. got to see Slightly Stoopid this summer up close…with Don Carlos. Very pleased on how they are getting that sound and helping to carry the torch to new audiences. They are utilizing the Fender Jazz bass (single coils) as recommended by Family Man. No picks being used on bass. Again, nice to hear others being captivated by that reggae bass and groove…changed my life over 30 years ago and still keeping me in the now. Respect.
BTW- am not 300 lbs. lol
Marko1960
Loving this thread, thanks Rodney and well done Guinny for bringing one of the most important genres for bass to our attention
Guinny
Great info, Rodney.

Big it up, Marco!

Reply to this thread