0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tablature Notation Assistance Please!

FatStringer
I'm a novice at notating tablature as you can probably tell if you have seen any of my previous submissions. So please bear with me as I attempt to learn. Right now what I need to know is how to notate a note that ends one bar and rings thru and begins the next bar. For example:

G |——————-|——————-|
D |—1———–1—|—1———–1—|
A |——4—–2——|——4—–2——|
E |———2———|———2———|

The final D1 (D#) in the first bar rings thru and is not played at the beginning of the second bar. Notating this on sheet music is easy, but I'm stumped with tabs.

Is this the right way?

G |——————-|——————-|
D |—1———–1—|–(1)———-1—|
A |——4—–2——|——4—–2——|
E |———2———|———2———|

Or is this the way?

G |——————-|——————-|
D |—1———–1>–|–(1)———-1—|
A |——4—–2——|——4—–2——|
E |———2———|———2———|

Or am I even on the right track at all?

I've seen folks use “r” or “>” to symbolize “let it ring” and “( )” to represent a sustained note. Does the D1 at the end of the first bar even need some type of qualifier? Does the “(1)” at the beginning of the second bar automatically tell me/you that this note is carried forward from the previous bar?

I appreciate the help guys!
Using the symbols (r,*,> are commonly used for notes that ring. Some will use some sort of duration for a short or long ring … as in ***,*******. Some use no form of duration, instead a duration of space in a bar will be empty. There really is no right or wrong way to do this, just what makes sense and it should be noted what the symbols represent.

I would not use an identification such as your example (1). This represents a Ghost note or option to use or not use in the progression. This also can be used for a starting or ending point of performing a slide.

It's nice to see tabber's use symbols when a note needs to be extended. As long as a tab has been presented nicely, it should be easier for a user to make sense out of it. Now if you are looking for a note to carry from a Verse to the Chorus. I would extend the bar a little extra with whatever symbol you use at your last note.

Hope this may have answered your concerns.
Parenthesis represent Ghost notes and not sustained notes. Got it.

So a proper notation of the riff would be:

G|——————–|——————–|
D|—1———–1r—|—————1—-|
A|——4—–2——-|——4—–2——-|
E|———2———-|———2———-|

. . . and therefore it would up to the user to listen to the piece of music to understand the duration of the 1r.

Thank you dbt. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. You've been a great help.
That is exactly right “up to the USER to listen to the piece of music to understand”.
The hardest part is to INTERPRET the notes and apply them in notation to correlate the structure.

Writing out tabs - what makes sense to you, should apply the same to the person who is reading it.
Keep it simple, straight forward, clean, and reduce any unnecessary clutter.
Quote:
Keep it simple, straight forward, clean, and reduce any unnecessary clutter.

See, that's what Ive always thought tabs should be. But some out are as complex, if not more so, as sheet music and even more difficult to decipher. I believe I'll stick to the KISS method.

Thanks again!
No symbols, but I know what this riff represents - but others may not because I have not set a structure that they are used to seeing.

Tabs:
G|-------------|------------------|
D|------4-7-4--|------------------|
A|-5--45-----5-|-2---4---5--55--5-|
E|-------------|---3---5----------|
Vampire Weekend - cape cod kwassa kwassa Verse

5 = extension note 454 = triplet feel 745 = triplet feel 23 = two note 45 = two note 5 = one note extension 55 5 = triplet

To me, this is clean - but to somebody interpreting this may find this to be incomplete.
A song that has a “bouncy” feel like this one can be difficult for others to comprehend - a lot of symbols and markings need to be used here for proper form - too much, that I would call it clutter.

Reply to this thread