0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

How did you get started playing bass and . . .

Marko1960
Hey Mark and Fatstrings, I know Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, we've almost got a set list, we should form a band
Quote:
I modified it for BEAD tuning and removed the preamp.

Hey ThunderBassistJay, if you read this thread again I'd be interest in hearing more about your modded bass. I've been looking for a decent used P bass to do just about the same thing. I figured the P bass since they have a good thick neck to handle the added tension. Preamp aside, what modifications did you have to do? Right now I just plan on using some DR DDT-55's and doing a small amount of nut filing, if needed. Is there anything else that I should consider? Also, did you have to make any adjustments on the neck to compensate for the string tension?

Quote:
we should form a band

Marko1960 - Sure, I vote for IamMark to be the front man. After all, he does know his tune in two keys.

Enjoy!
IamMark
I can't sing.
. . . and I couldn't carry a note in my back pocket!
I'm not a big “participater”, but I thought I should introduce myself and this seemed like a good way to do it.

The Wednesday before this just past Memorial Day, I bought my first bass. After 30 years of excuses, I had $250 that I wasn't doing anything else with, so I walked into Guitar Center and bought their Fender P-Bass starter bubble-pack kit, took it home and learned a basic blues progression that I was joyfully klutzing my way through (along with Fleetwood Mac's “The Chain”, but that's more for an inside joke than anything else) just before I sat down and opened this.

Best
Decision
Ever.

That's me - The UberNoober.
Marko1960
Welcome aboard MammasedNokuowt, we don't do Noobies here, we are all members of one big happy family where everyone's welcome, unless you mention Eminem that is
Hey guys. I'm new to the site and I am loving the tabs.
I started bass after my seeing my friend playing it in his band. It looked so fun that I had to try it. It is the best decision I've made and I am still enjoying learning new tunes.
Marko1960
Welcome to the low side Joe. Mammased, a couple more tracks to tackle similar to The Chain, using open strings, Dancin in the Moonlight by Thin Lizzy and My Sharona by The Knack, no open strings but close to the skinny end
Quote:
Quote: I modified it for BEAD tuning and removed the preamp. Hey ThunderBassistJay, if you read this thread again I'd be interest in hearing more about your modded bass. I've been looking for a decent used P bass to do just about the same thing. I figured the P bass since they have a good thick neck to handle the added tension. Preamp aside, what modifications did you have to do? Right now I just plan on using some DR DDT-55's and doing a small amount of nut filing, if needed. Is there anything else that I should consider? Also, did you have to make any adjustments on the neck to compensate for the string tension?
Nut filing, of course has to be done. If the holes in the bridge aren't wide enough, one has to be drilled to a larger diameter, to fit the B string. The total tension doesn't really change. The B string is fatter, but has less tension than most E strings have. Be sure to really push the strings over the saddles and the nut, so they'll have a clear angle. Of course intonation will have to be set. Neck relief should be checked and set if required. Don't have files? This works equally well:

Four string BEAD makes a lot of fun. Good luck!
Thank you TBJ. I love your idea for the nut file. You just have to be extremely careful not to make the string slot any deeper when using it. What string gauges are you using? The DDT-55's are 55-75-95-115 and I'm wondering if the 115 will get me down to the B.

And I'll echo Marko1960, welcome to the site MammasedNokuowt and JoeBassJoe. I'm also new to the site.

Reply to this thread