0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Hipshot Extenders

The Bassist
The tuning machine for the B string on my five string has been semi-broken for the past six months. the nylon washer between the key and the stationary portion broke off, making the key super tight and hard to turn. I loosened the tension on the screw which helped a little bit but when there is no string on the post the key is loose and wobbly. I would like to replace the tuner before putting a new string on it and I was thinking about a Hipshot extender. Has anyone used these before and how easy are they to install?

If anyone doesn't know what these are:

MotorMog
If you dont actually need to down tune from B on your 5 string just replace the broken tuner
Sidsquishus
I agree with MotorMog: not much (any?) need for tuning below the low B on a five string. I have never needed to tune lower than this. I would consider putting a HipShot drop tuner on a four string, but not on a five string. Just replace the broken tuner.
IamMark
Seems unnecessary. As much as I love the low end, anything lower than C sounds terrible to me.

Although, you may be hitting frequencies that will induce nausea and vomiting… that could be cool to watch.
The ability to flick a lever and drop the string one or two steps is not specifically why Im getting this tuner. Its a replacement, the detuning function is nice to have but that doesn't mean I have to use it all the time. Musiciansfriend.com where I get all my gear sells extenders individually where as their normal tuners are sold in sets which I dont need. Also I think you guys might have missed my question. I wasn't asking should I do this but has anyone used one before.
MotorMog
How about contacting esp/ltd customer support for a replacement washer!

Marko1960
No
Marko1960
I dont know how many songs have been recorded since Leo introduced the Precision Bass in 1951, quite a few probably, but I'm willing to bet that 99.9% used 4 string basses tuned E A D G, all this 5, 6, 7, and 8 string bass bollocks is pointless
Marko1960
And does anyone remember Fenders ‘B Bender’ Telecaster? No? Exactly, they dropped it like a hot rock when no one was intereSted. If it aint broke dont fix it
Quote:
How about contacting esp/ltd customer support for a replacement washer!

I wouldn't be able to install it without physically dismantling the tuner which I dont know how to do. Before it finally popped out the washer was half hanging out of its groove and couldn't be pushed back in for anything, even tried pushing it back in with a vice. The easiest thing to do here is replace the whole tuner. I ordered the extender last night and am expecting it Thursday.
MotorMog
Fare enough ,will be interested to see and hear the results!

Reply to this thread