0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

IamMark
Any visible damage to the amp other than the broken strap?

I'm sure your uncle will understand.

If not… salt him.
LoudLon [moderator]
No real damage, no. There's a ding on the bottom edge of the case but you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. And it still works perfectly fine. It was just the principal, y'know? It's like, I've been using the thing for two years, taking care of it, keeping it clean and all that, and of all the times for something to happen to it, it just HAD to be on the very same day he asked for it back. Seriously, what are the friggin' odds?!

Incidentally, I feel like you guys go straight to salting a little too readily. I think there should be a window of, I dunno, ten minutes or so to try some other tactic before automatically busting out the Morton's. Just sayin'.
IamMark
My folks left the other day, Marko. I return to the woodshed this weekend.
IamMark
OK Marko, I'm ready to set the bridge. What should I keep in mind?

Today I cut my wiring channels for my pickups, drilled my holes for the pots and pickup wiring harnesses, drilled my jack hole, And started sanding.

IamMark
I figured out the bridge mount. All is good.

Because my pickups are passive do I need to ground them to the bridge? If so, how? The base of the bridge is flat brass. What would I ground it to?
Sidsquishus
To ground a bridge, you'll run a wire from under the bridge to your control cavity - the EMG instructions should show this. So you'll need a hole drilled from control cavity to the area under the bridge - when the bridge is mounted, the hole is covered and hidden. The bare (insulation stripped) end of the wire is pinned between the underside of the bridge and the wood of your bass - wire comes up out of the hole, then runs across bass top a bit so it is pinned (and contact made) beneath bridge. In my experience, this ground wire is usually a solid core wire instead of a braided core to get better contact.
IamMark
So just solder it to the bottom plate of the bridge?
Sidsquishus
Not even soldered, just pressed up tight against the bottom plate when the bridge is screwed down onto the body. The bare end of the ground wire is mashed between bridge and body - the pressure from the screwed-down bridge will be enough to make the wire indent the wood under the bridge. To do that, the bridge has to press down on the wire really hard - there will a good contact between bridge and wire without any soldering. Just make sure the wire is not in the way of any screws, and that it is under solid bridge (not spanning a hole/cut out in the bridge base).
IamMark
Oh sweet. That's easy enough.

Today I sanded. And sanded, then sanded more before sanding again.

80 grit, then 120, then 150, and now I'm using 220.

Hopefully I can stain soon.
IamMark
What have you guys done with Marko????

Reply to this thread