Marko1960
And that's my last word on the subject
IamMark
Quote:
Looking good, bet you're already thinking about the next one
The next TWO!
IamMark
Here's what I've learned so far:

1) The template is everything. It's got to be perfect or you'll spend a lot of time fixing problems. Get the template right before cutting.

2) Be patient. Don't rush any part of the process.

3) Don't trust your eye. Always measure (from many angles) and then measure again. Then measure it again.

4) Don't buy a pre-drilled neck unless you're modifying an existing body with the same neck type.
Marko1960
Good lessons learnt, you've mentioned making your own neck next time, you'll spend more time on the neck than you do on the rest of the guitar, I'm not trying to put you off, the lessons you have learnt so far will be indispensable when it comes to making your own neck. I'll give you a list of Luthier tools you will need and the number one supplier, they will cost between 3 to 500 dollars but are worth every penny, but let's get this one finished first
IamMark
Right on!

Thanks Marko, you've been a tremendous resource for this project and I don't think I would have attempted it off of YouTube videos. So I'll say it again at the end, but thank you so much!!

Now for today's progress:

Control cavity cut.

IamMark
If you zoom in to the control cavity cover pic, you'll see why I said the template needs to be perfect.

Coupled with a strange cut on one of the curves, and then having to switch routers mid cut because the switch on my Craftsman router decided to die… the slight differences in guide to blade measurements gave me more space than I wanted.

Lesson learned for sure.
Marko1960
It looks excellent, better than mine, I used an old scratchplate and it was a bit tight cutting the shape out. You and that router are some team. Thanks for the ‘Big Up’ but you did all the work, heres to the next two

Reply to this thread