0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

IamMark
Seriously, what have you done with Marko?
Marko1960
I'm here, been busy, my number one deputy, Sid, has been looking after you. Have you fitted the bridge? Is there enough room for intonation adjustment?
IamMark
Quote:
I'm here, been busy, my number one deputy, Sid, has been looking after you. Have you fitted the bridge? Is there enough room for intonation adjustment?
Yes, I'm all good here.

I wasn't able to do much this past weekend on the bass. I received a wonderful order by my wife to get my basement in order. So I spent the entire weekend moving and organizing shit I didn't even know we have. Amazing what a family is capable of hoarding.

The positive to getting the basement in order is that I now have a room dedicated for my finish work for the bass. A nice high counter with great lighting and ventilation for staining and finishing the bass with no worries of particles getting in that shit.

I think the only thing I still need to do (wood cutting/drilling wise) is to drill the pilot holes for the truss rod cover on the head.

I plan on doing my final sanding this week, and hopefully on Saturday begin staining my body. I think I'm going to try to mix my own dye, because the sealant I plan on using makes the stain lighter. So I think I need to mix my color to an almost midnight blue to get the right color blue I'm looking for. I have a few scraps of the alder I am sanding and prepping just like the body to test on first.
Marko1960
Good idea using test pieces as you found out with templates. Did you check out Re-Ranch finishes from Warmoth?
IamMark
I did, but I didn't see anything on their site in terms of color that I was really looking for. I know I can probably mix their dyes to get the desired color, but I have a local store that specializes in wood working and has a ton of finishing supplies at decent prices.
IamMark
Ok, now I have an issue with my G&L. I'm getting a buzz out of my speaker that seems related to the bass electronics. The amp is on a surge protector.

When I touch my tone knobs the buzz goes away. But only the tone knobs. Not the volume knob.

Is this a ground issue, or are these two pots going out at the same time?

I've never experienced this before tonight.
Marko1960
Sounds like a grounding problem,rare on a G&L
IamMark
I decided to go with a dye on the bass. Laid my first two coats to get the tone I was looking for, but the areas I didn't sand as well as I thought are now accentuated by dark spots in the color.

I'm going to light sand the bass with 400 grit paper, and then apply another coat of dye and quickly wipe off.

Thank goodness this is a one-off bass, and I'm not trying to replicate a finish on multiple basses. That seems damn near impossible to me.
IamMark
Pre dye
IamMark
Oops, sorry for the multiple post. I accidently hit submit before I was done.

Here is the first dye.

And here it is after a light sand with 400 grit, and the a second application of the dye.

Reply to this thread