0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

So did you guys drop guitar or an other instrulent to play bass or did you start directly with bass ?

just3boyz
i'm on your side johnny.
there is a tremendous amount of multi tasking on the piano.
if you're playing works by guys like chopin and rachmaninoff you're doing things like playing 5 over 7…then you gotta worry about the pedals.

also if you're doing solo compositions on the guitar (guys like andy mckee)
or on bass (guys like victor wooten)
there is an incredible amount of coordination involced there.

(don't forget how hard it is to have perfect intonation on a fretless bass.)

not to diminish the drums but there concern is the rhythm.
everybody else has to focus on harmony and melody on top of the rhythm.
as long as the drums sound good they just gotta play in the right place.
Well I just found piano to be easy because it doesn't involve your legs as much. That's just how I am
I've played Drums for about 2 years, Bass for 1 year and Guitar for a few months.
I originally wanted to play guitar and asked for a guitar for my birthday and, my mum got me a bass guitar.

I still prefer to play drums though.
nzMike
I have just turned 30 and bought my first bass. First instrument in 20 years (if you count the recorder in primary school).
Leiria
I always hated music education. Id never bring my recorder and never learned how to read sheet music. It made me hate music and never want anyhting to do with it. Of course that all changed when I started playing bass. Still dont know how to read sheet music and Im not really interested in learning, though.
Leiria when did you tab California Girls?! I love you!!!!
johnny [staff]
I love music theory, but I agree: @$!# the recorder. I hate its stupid sound
Leiria
Quote:
Leiria when did you tab California Girls?! I love you!!!!
The Shark? song? That was my first submited tab, it was problably just one or 2 months after I joined the forum. I must warn you its problably not 100% acurate so do please tell if theres anything you think is wrong.

Quote:
I love music theory, but I agree: @$!# the recorder. I hate its stupid sound
I have nothing against music theory, I was just never really into it, and since after months of constant playing I was able to improvise I decided to never learn it
jlapp
I got a guitar for my 8th grade graduation (80's), and I've had some good stretches where I would play, but I never really got good. I thought music theory was just not for me, so I was just basically learning songs through tabs. I finally broke down when my wife got me a subscription to an online guitar lesson site. I still didn't do much but I really enjoyed learning the scales and appreggios. Long story longer I read somewhere that bass players should really know their appreggios. I had some money i was saving up for a new electric guitar, and decided on a whim to get a bass instead. I've been loving it, I play it everyday and I have learned more about music in 6 weeks than i have in 30 years of trying to play guitar. I recently picked up my guitar and the strings feel so weird now I struggled to play it at all. I put it down and picked the bass back up. I love the tone and percussive abilitys of the instrument. i'm so happy I switched and do not feel like I've “failed”, rather I just feel found.
Bass is my original instrument, if you don't count the triangle.

Reply to this thread