0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

So did you guys drop guitar or an other instrulent to play bass or did you start directly with bass ?

linkinpark232
Quote:
How many guitarists can really claim both?

A lot of people on here
linkinpark232
Not saying lessons are bad, but to me if you actually want to play an instrument you would just teach yourself. It's a lot easier
LoudLon [moderator]
Quote:
...there are thousands of reasonably good guitarists, but not thousands of good bassists.

Agreed. I have a total of eighteen uncles; half of them were at one point in time (and some still are) professional, working musicians. And there's not one of them who won't tell you that a good bassist is worth his weight in gold (and that's a direct quote).
johnny [staff]
Quote:
Not saying lessons are bad, but to me if you actually want to play an instrument you would just teach yourself. It's a lot easier

That's very counter-intuitive and I would disagree with that. If you can afford lessons, get them. You will improve faster. Self taught musicians often find themselves in a rut where they practice and hone stuff that they are good at, but they neglect other stuff and never improves certain techniques, styles, rhythms, whatever. This happens much less if you are properly tutored.
Towelie
Started with bass, self-taught.
linkinpark232
Quote:
Quote: Not saying lessons are bad, but to me if you actually want to play an instrument you would just teach yourself. It's a lot easier That's very counter-intuitive and I would disagree with that. If you can afford lessons, get them. You will improve faster. Self taught musicians often find themselves in a rut where they practice and hone stuff that they are good at, but they neglect other stuff and never improves certain techniques, styles, rhythms, whatever. This happens much less if you are properly tutored.

Well I'm not everybody.
linkinpark232
Got my eye on a transparent black Jackson JS3 V. The guy wanted 275 but I got him down to 150 as soon as I told him I had cash and would immediately buy it. Lol probably going to buy it Wednesday
just3boyz
I started on guitar and then switched to bass cuz we couldn't find a guy to play bass. Plus at the time I sucked at guitar. I've been playing ever since and it's my favorite thing in the world! That being said in the past couple years I've rediscovered the guitar and have found that it's also a lot of fun to mess around with. I've also been messing around with drums piano mandolin and singing. I'll always consider myself a bassist but i really like wrapping my head around other instruments. I feel like a lot of people that get to wrapped up in one instrument start only caring about that one instrument and less about music in general. I'm not saying it happens to everybody. I just get frustrated with people that get so stuck on what they're doing that they forget about the overall sound. I think understanding other instruments can help get people out of that single minded mentality.
I didn't drop any instrument. I play the uke, I'm a percussionist, and I've been playing the bass for about 4 years now.
Marko1960
I used to play the Alpenhorn, but I was going to a gig one night in London and I went on one of those ‘Bendy Busses’ and we went round a corner and my Horn snapped in half

Reply to this thread