0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Loudlon's Tab Corner!

Marko1960
You can count on me
LoudLon [moderator]
Apologies for my Slipknot: Before I Forget tab. I forgot to include a bunch of notations and stuff, but I've fixed it. All good now.
2nick3
Odd tunings on those Soundgarden songs, Lon. Tuning E down to C is one things, but B? That's a 5 string!
LoudLon [moderator]
Yeah, but I only have a 4-string. No choice.
Marko1960
Quote:
Apologies for my Slipknot: Before I Forget tab. I forgot to include a bunch of notations and stuff, but I've fixed it. All good now.

Oh the irony
LoudLon [moderator]
Oh, pfft! Hadn't even noticed. That's funny!
2nick3
Regarding Why, Pt. 2 / Collective Soul tab: https://www.bigbasstabs.com/collective_soul_bass_tabs/why_pt_2.html

This time I tried it, and I have to ask if you seriously got a bass to tune down 2.5 steps? Even my Fender Jazz with the .110 e-string couldn't handle tuning all the way down to B without becoming a sloppy, clanking mess. C# was playable, barely. C was pretty much a no-go, but B???
LoudLon [moderator]
Yup, I do it frequently. And with a cheap-ass Austin 4-string (I'm nothing if not frugal lol). Of course I do get a bit of rattle on the 4th string when dropped that low, but it's nothing that can't be managed by applying a lighter pluck. Also when tuned down that low, I tend to switch to a pick instead of finger style, to get a crisper, more noticeable tone. Lower than that, though, and yeah, it's like trying to play a bass strung with spaghetti noodles. There's a reason you don't see any Korn songs on my tab list. Drop a 4-string to A and you're liable to trip over the strings.

As for this song in particular, to play it accurately you basically have to turn your 4-string into a 5-string, and yeah, that means dropping all strings down two-and-a-half steps. Well, except for the first string. It's not used, so you don't actually HAVE to drop that one down.
Marko1960
The simple solution is to buy a low B string from a five string set and put it where your E string is now and move the E to the A position, the A to the D position, the D to the G position and the G in the bin, (howay man, who REALLY likes the G string?). Jay will be along shortly to extol the virtues of a four string tuned B E A D
2nick3
That would take some work cutting the nut to allow the bigger strings, right? I almost have enough basses to do this on one of them.

Reply to this thread