0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

People my age so ignorant with music

Hugorj
The music today is depressing. No more melodic combinations of old times.
Mari7
Mari7
LoudLon [moderator]
I'm at the age now where my generation – Generation X, the counter-culture generation – has fallen aside and been taken over by the modern generation. It's actually difficult for me when I hear stuff like Nirvana or Alice in Chains popping up on “classic rock” channels because it only reminds me that I'm getting older, and while it's been over 20 years since Smells Like Teen Spirit noted the first step in that generational step, it doesn't FEEL like over 20 years ago for me. Yet the stuff I believed in, the stuff my generation believed in, has been rendered obsolete and, worse, irrelevant. And this extends to music, as well. I go into town wearing a Collective Soul tee or cranking some Frank Black and I can practically feel the younger folks looking at me and thinking “The @$!#'s that old shit?”

Also folks of my generation were hugely anti-corporate, so this modern era which has seen Wall Street running the country, an Ipad on every lap and the likes of Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus and Justin Fucking Beiber hogging all the radio waves is anathema to me.

I can see it now. I'm going to be one of those crotchety old bastards who spends his days on the front porch reminiscing about the good ol' days while casting dispersions on the arrogant young punks out on the street cranking their Nas and Li'l Wayne.

Sigh…
boppa
Musically, we all get gapped sooner or later. I empathize with Lon, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, the grunge that shook the music world from Seattle, now considered classic rock. How about music that came out the Fillmore in the late 60's?

The great music is timeless. If you seek it, eventually you find the treasure trove that it has become. Nothing against the Idol wannabes or some troubled Canadian, who hasn't worn out his pack of razor blades, I like what I like, but it isn't what you kids would call “pop music” or rap. I like fuz and distortion, with a hint of blues.
linkinpark232
I like Nas. But Nirvana on classic rock station? The hell?
Strathadam
On behalf of my country, I'd like to apologize for foisting that annoying Bieber kid on the world. Oh, and for Celine Dion… just ‘cause.
On the other hand, we’re allowed a few blunders considering we've also exported Neil Young, Rush, and a few others.
boppa
You are forgiven, my son…. Go forth and Bieber no more.
LoudLon [moderator]
Celine Dion I have no problem with – like her stuff or not, the broad's got pipes and at least she didn't let her success go to her head like Beiber. But as you said you also gave us Rush and Young, not to mention Tom Cochrane, Gordon Lightfoot, Bryan Adams and Colin James (a personal favorite, not sure why he never really caught on in the states).

So with acts like that, I suppose I can forgive the Canucks for the occasional Beiber. If I have to.
linkinpark232
I'm sitting here with an iPad on my lap

Reply to this thread