0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

IamMark
Got it. I was planning on leaving about a quarter inch of alder off to save my router. So I completely understand what you're saying here.

I have a band saw, but I hardly use it. I'll try some test pieces first, so I don't mess up the alder block.

My goal today is to cut and sand my ply templates. Once I have the template perfect I'll attempt to jigsaw cut the block and then router it this week.
LoudLon [moderator]
I had to perform a repair on my bass last night. One of the wires had come loose from the jack port and I had to retie it, as I didn't have a soldering wand to connect it to its post. Worked like a charm.

No big deal. It's just the first time I've ever had to repair anything on a guitar and as modest as the repair was, I'm kinda proud of myself.
Marko1960
Nice job Lon, it'll need soldering at some point so she'll out 15 bucks on a soldering iron
Marko1960
Mark, why not use the bandsaw if you have one? And notice how you are learning without realising it, if you just follow a set of instructions you don't really learn, but you have had to use your noggin on the little scraps of info I've been feeding you, give yourself a pat on the back
IamMark
That's why I wanted to do this. I wanted to learn about the process. I have no dreams of becoming a sucessful luthier at all. I just want to know the tricks of the trade to learn how it's done.

Although it's a time-taking process I'm enjoying what I've learned so far, and I don't think we've even begun to get into the real technical stuff.

I have my ply template cut out. The horns were really difficult to get cut just right, so I had to do more sanding in some areas, which resulted in small measurment changes form my original plan. Nothing that affects the neck heel. I made sure the measurement around that area was exactly right. I still need to do a little light sanding to get some unwanted bumps out of the ply template. But it's coming along.
IamMark
So this sucks. The new router and bit I bought aren't cooperating. The but wont stay in the collet. No matter how tight I tighten it. I'll take it to the shop I bought them from to find out what's wrong.

I have my ply template attached to my precut block. Just need my router to work.

Marko1960
Looking good so far, we will go into great detail with the neck socket in the next installment
IamMark
So the 1/2-inch collet I got with the router was defective. It wouldn't set properly, resulting in my 2-inch straight bit flying out and almost sticking in my leg.

I got a new collet and will try to cut it tonight.
Marko1960
Clamp it to the bench before routing and when the clamp gets in the way move it to where you've already cut and finish routing
IamMark
Ok, so I had a little bit of bother with cutting my block.

27,000 rpm is crazy fast on a router!

There are a couple of areas where the blade caught and yanked wood chips out. So I don't know if the block was too dry and grainy, or if I had too much pressure on the router and didnt make enough light passes.

So I have some sanding to do before I route my quarter rounds.

The neck base looks perfect and just the right size.

Reply to this thread