0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

5 String Bass

This might be a bit of a dum question but I'll ask it anyway & apologies in advance if it is.
I've been a 4 string basser all my life but i've been looking into buying a 5 string bass as there are a lot of tunes out there that require one. I never tune by ear, I've tried & fail miserably so always use a guitar tuner.
My question is this: Is there a guitar tuner on the market for 5 string basses? I can't seem to find one. If there isn't what is the best way to tune a 5 string? Thanks in advance for any advice.
just3boyz
You should be able to tune it with most tuners on the market (as far as i know)
If the tuner is having a hard time picking up the Low B String,
just hit a Harmonic on the 12th fret of that string.
(if you don't know what that is: rest you finger over the fret,
don't put pressure on the fret! and pluck it.
the note will ring without your left hand needing to be there after you pluck it)

(You can also fret it, but you'll have a harder time tuning since both hands wont be free)

You could also probably find websites online that have 5-string bass tuners on it.
just keep searching. you'll find it!
Sidsquishus
I am using or have used a TC Electronic Polytune Mini 2, a Korg Pitchblack, a Boss TU-12, and other Seiko and Korg chromatic tuners. All of them have worked with my five string (low B string). I really like the Polytune and Pitchblack - both are stomp box tuners that sit on the floor, mute your signal when tuning, and are easy to read (though I have used them outdoors in full sunlight).
Cheers
I recently picked up a five string for that same reason. My Korg pedal tuner picked up the B no problemo.
I also have a tuner that picked up on that string without a second guess. I bought it at some store in Prescott a while back. All you have to do is plug one end of a cord into the jack of the bass, plug the other end into the tuner, power the tuner on, and boom. Just like that. I don't remember what brand it was though. I think it might be a Korg. But I'm not sure. I myself have a 5-string Fender Jazz Bass and an old Warwick 5-string.
IamMark
I use a Fender micro tuner, and it picks up my 5 string just fine.
Marko1960
Failing this, use your tuner to tune the E A D and G, now play the B string at the fifth fret and tune it until it's the same note as the open E, (5th fret on B string is E)now the open B will be in tune
I have a ESP LTD F-155DX which i got for a couple of Behemoth songs that required it. I typically only use the fifth string if the tabs call for it although I do occasionally use a random open not or the fifth fret instead of the open E. I would love to use it more but I dont run across many five string tabs. My tuner is a Sieko I think, and it can tune a seven string guitar or a six string bass. If you've never tuned a five string before the fifth string doesn't need much adjustment, a little turn will go a long way.
Thanks for all the good advice guys, it's certainly given me something to investigate and think about. Very much appreciated.
Quote:
I am fairly new to playing bass and i just picked up a 5 string bass. Thoughts or opinions on the “Five Banger”?
Dude, I got an Ibanez GSR 205 5 string, that I wouldn't trade for the world, I love her to death. Agathis composite body, metallic roadster orange finish, maple neck with a rosewood fretboard with a 34" scale, and a gloss black finish on the head stock. She plays like a dream, and is the bass for me, no question.

Reply to this thread