0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Humbucker or single coil?

Cheekychuck
Posts: 220
2 months ago
Report this message
Quote
Whats your preference? I prefer humbucker, but I have heard alot of cool sounding jazz basses.
Sidsquishus
Posts: 1073
I'm asking myself this very question. I think my answer is humbucker as I really don't like the 60 hz hum from single coils. Usually, I end up replacing single coil jazz pickups with some type of split coil humbucking pickup, such as the Fender Super 55 and the Fender N3 Noiseless.
linkinpark232
Posts: 1321
Humbuckers can give me more of a range of sounds from fuckin' heavy to kitten soft. So humbuckers lol. I like single coils with p pickups though. Nice blend
Marko1960
Posts: 975
Fit a Humbucker and a coil tap, best of both worlds
Cheekychuck
Posts: 220
Quote:
Fit a Humbucker and a coil tap, best of both worlds
What is a coil tap?
Marko1960
Posts: 975
A Humbucker is two single coil pick ups, the output wire of the first is connected to the input wire of the second, they are fitted side by side, North North and South South so they are trying to cancel each other out, also one is wired in reverse, all of this's reduces feedback which was a big problem on arch top guitars but not at all on solid bodies. Humbuckers became popular when it was realised that they would distort at high volume. Anyway, a coil tap is a switch connected between the two coils so you can switch one off giving you the option of single coil or Humbucker, Bosh
LoudLon [moderator]
Posts: 776
Humbuckers for me.
Cheekychuck
Posts: 220
Quote:
A Humbucker is two single coil pick ups, the output wire of the first is connected to the input wire of the second, they are fitted side by side, North North and South South so they are trying to cancel each other out, also one is wired in reverse, all of this's reduces feedback which was a big problem on arch top guitars but not at all on solid bodies. Humbuckers became popular when it was realised that they would distort at high volume. Anyway, a coil tap is a switch connected between the two coils so you can switch one off giving you the option of single coil or Humbucker, Bosh

So is a coil tap the same as a coil splitter?
Leiria
Posts: 158
Quote:
So is a coil tap the same as a coil splitter?

http://www.fender.com/news/coil-splitting-and-coil-tapping/

Reply to this thread