0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Underrated Bassists

IamMark
Yes, got it.
Marko1960
I wouldn't say underrated but James Jamerson, Andy Rourke and Carlos Dengler need a mention
Marko1960
Not to take anything away from Noel that is, he was the man. Rancids Matt Freeman, there's another, I could go on
F6F Avila
Quote:
JPJ is a great bassist, he also played all the other stuff on the albums, keyboards, recorder etc., when Page was doing his stuff, Jones stayed in the background like a good bassist should. And anyone who says Bonham was crap doesn't know the first thing about music never mind drumming. Don't forget Zep were there when Rock was in its infancy, it evolved from the mid 60s British Blues Explosion, Zep were heavily influenced by The Small Faces whose album stuff was drenched in the Blues. Whole Lotta Love was a cover of The Small Faces, You Need Lovin which was itself a cover of Willie Dixons You Need Love which he wrote for Muddy Waters. You are right about one thing, Jack Bruce is one amazing bassist, being classically trained from the age of five probably helped
I didn't say that Bonham was in particular crap, and I am just very mad that Led Zep are taking all the recognition when Cream deserves it more. Bohnam had good technique and could groove well, but he really couldn't swing and I still arrest my case on the I think Led Zep isn't good.
F6F Avila
Quote:
JPJ is a great bassist, he also played all the other stuff on the albums, keyboards, recorder etc., when Page was doing his stuff, Jones stayed in the background like a good bassist should. And anyone who says Bonham was crap doesn't know the first thing about music never mind drumming. Don't forget Zep were there when Rock was in its infancy, it evolved from the mid 60s British Blues Explosion, Zep were heavily influenced by The Small Faces whose album stuff was drenched in the Blues. Whole Lotta Love was a cover of The Small Faces, You Need Lovin which was itself a cover of Willie Dixons You Need Love which he wrote for Muddy Waters. You are right about one thing, Jack Bruce is one amazing bassist, being classically trained from the age of five probably helped
I didn't say that Bonham was in particular crap, and I am just very mad that Led Zep are taking all the recognition when Cream deserves it more. Bohnam had good technique and could groove well, but he really couldn't swing and I still arrest my case on the I think Led Zep isn't good.
Marko1960
Bonham left the ‘Swing’ to the likes of Glen Miller and the Benny Goodman Band, he was a Rocker and a damn fine one, search youtube for any of his solos or check out Black Dog where the timing changes regularly throughout the song, it's hard enough playing 4/4 for four minutes but when you have to change to 5/4 or even 7/6 in the middle of a song it's just crazy, Rush are famous for it but Bonham was doing it when Neil Peart was still at school
just3boyz
linkinpark232,
john paul jones did a ot more then just follow the guitar.
most of the time he was actually playing his own bassline.
he riffs with the guitar very seldomly.
if you were actually listening to his parts you would realize that.
just3boyz
F6F Avila,
every reason you just gave is either your opinion or you just being bitter about stupid crap.
John paul jones is great live.
i could understand not liking a band.
but if someone asks you for an objective reason not to like something you don't say “their music is shit”
you sound like a 5 year old.
Marko1960
The only example of the bass following the guitar is Tim Commerford locked in with Tom Morello, to great effect, on most of RATMs stuff, but not all. He was more diverse with Audioslave
Marko1960
The only example I can come up with that should read

Reply to this thread