0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

i gots a dumb question

Questions concerning Sharps and Flats are never dumb. Lon Did an excellent job explaining that. I've found it completely depends on how the player reads (sees and feels) the music. I, for example read in flats, but could easily tell you the corresponding sharp. There's a guy I go to school with who I'm good friends with, and he's a drummer (go figure lol). Anyway, he reads in sharps, but knows the corresponding flats. Like I said, it depends on the player, but they are one in the same.
Quote:
Yes, one note sharp is the same as the next note up flat. So an A sharp is the same thing as B flat, D sharp is the same as E flat, etc.I believe E and B are the only two notes which don't have sharps; it goes from E to F, and B to C with no sharps (or F-flat, or B-flat) in between.
That's correct. E and B are the only notes without sharps. Although they technically do, it just makes things way too complicated.
Marko1960
When you're playing if you go UP a semitone you are going sharp, if you go DOWN a semitone you are going flat. If you're playing D you don't go up to Eb you go up to D# and so on
LoudLon [moderator]
And when you go up and you're B and the C then turns into an A-minus and the D becomes a J and oh, man, now my head hurts…
a J? lol and then a Z
purplez
Quote:
I, for example read in flats, but could easily tell you the corresponding sharp. There's a guy I go to school with who I'm good friends with, and he's a drummer (go figure lol). Anyway, he reads in sharps, but knows the corresponding flats. Like I said, it depends on the player, but they are one in the same.

I prefer to think in #'s.. though I don't know why I do this
i tend to do sharp too i guess. because im going a a# B C C# D D# E F blah blah. it depends what direction im sliding how i see it tho. if im going from lower up to toward the nut i see it as a flat because if im playing an E and i slide up im not sliding up to a D# im sliding up to a flat
Thank you to whoever made this site Thank you thank you thank you
we all make it. those of us who use it daily and help out
It's just how you guys read the music. It's all natural to the player.

Reply to this thread