0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Loudlon's Tab Corner!

LoudLon [moderator]
New: Poison, by Bell Biv DeVoe
LoudLon [moderator]
New submission: Right Down the Line, by Gerry Rafferty
Sidsquishus
Thanks for Feed The Tree, Lon. How about Gepetto from the same album?
LoudLon [moderator]
You got it.
Sidsquishus
Thanks! I'll try to find time tomorrow to learn (and rate) Feed The Tree. Cheers
LoudLon [moderator]
Thanks for the rating, Sid. I should have Gepetto up within the next day or two.

New submission: Trouble Me, by 10,000 Maniacs
LoudLon [moderator]
New sub: Welcome to Planet Motherfucker/Psychoholic Slag, by White Zombie
LoudLon [moderator]
New submission: Smooth Criminal, by Alien Ant Farm

Sid – working on Gepetto. The only hitch is that while it's a somewhat simple song, the bassist doesn't play the riffs the same from verse to verse or chorus to chorus (she throws in extra notes, mixes up the rhythm, that kind of stuff) so it's taking a bit longer to tab it note-for-note. But bare with me, I'll get there.
Sidsquishus
No worries! and no hurry. Thanks for working on the song, very much appreciated!

When I tab a song, I try for a note-for-note tab in hopes of learning from the performance - get to see how they mixed it up to keep it interesting rather than simply repeating the same thing. That said, a tab that shows the basic skeleton of the riff works well also - here's the chord progression - and leaves room for a person to improvise they're own variations. This second approach is harder for me as a not so accomplished player. But I have surprised myself at times by coming up with lines that sound good - my version of a bass line for the song. This is what playing is all about after all.
LoudLon [moderator]
I'm considering taking the same approach to my tab for the Pearl Jam song, Black. I have the verses and the two choruses all tabbed out note for note but the last few minutes of the song – everything past the second chorus – are just little variations on the same riffs, and it goes on and on and on. On one hand I want to just say “improv for the rest of the song because I'm too lazy to tab three minutes of trivial variations” – but on the other hand that little obsessive, analytical part of me that got me into the tabbing in the first place is pecking at me, saying “if you're gonna do it, do it right, you lazy prick!” LOL

Eh. We'll see.

Oh, and a not for everyone in general: the last couple days we've had a lot of power outages thanks to weather, and my PC crashed this morning. I had to re-install Windows – meaning I lost my list of tab requests. So if there's anyone out there who has requested a tab from me personally that I haven't filled yet, feel free to post it here or PM it. Sorry for the wait.

Reply to this thread