0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

playing drunk

limmy
10 years ago
Report this message
so have any of you any experience playing a gig while drunk?

One time my band played a small show and we were the second band out of three. We got wasted during the first act and somehow we managed to play it okay. I shudder to think what would happen if the crowds weren't drunk or if the songs were a bit harder.

I am of the opinion that it's better to play sober so no need to preach, just wanna hear some fun stories.
LoudLon [moderator]
Well, this is likely going to cost me some of my street cred, but I don't drink. At least, anymore. Did quite a bit in my 20s but once I hit 30 or so, I simply lost interest. Even now when I go to bars, I'll order a coke or something. I can literally count the number of beers and/or hard liquor drinks I've had in the last ten years on one hand LOL

So no, I've never played a gig drunk before. But back when I was a rhythm guitarist for my first band, I played a yard party with what were at the time two undiagnosed broken fingers. Hurt like a bitch and my fingers looked like hot dogs the next day, but during the set I didn't miss a beat.

EDIT – whoops, the yard party was with my second band. The broken fingers thing was with my first band, and it was while we were recording two demo CDs, one with 6 tracks, one with 8. Pardon the brain fart. I'm old and prone to memory lapses.
linkinpark232
No Lon you didn't lose any of your “street cred”
Quote:
Well, this is likely going to cost me some of my street cred, but I don't drink. At least, anymore. Did quite a bit in my 20s but once I hit 30 or so, I simply lost interest. Even now when I go to bars, I'll order a coke or something. I can literally count the number of beers and/or hard liquor drinks I've had in the last ten years on one hand LOLSo no, I've never played a gig drunk before. But back when I was a rhythm guitarist for my first band, I played a yard party with what were at the time two undiagnosed broken fingers. Hurt like a bitch and my fingers looked like hot dogs the next day, but during the set I didn't miss a beat.EDIT – whoops, the yard party was with my second band. The broken fingers thing was with my first band, and it was while we were recording two demo CDs, one with 6 tracks, one with 8. Pardon the brain fart. I'm old and prone to memory lapses.
Hey man, the best way to party is to party sober. And who needs drugs when you can get high off life.
softcell62
LoudLon I have even more respect for you after such an honest, insightful message you posted. Your Street Cred just went up a few notches. In this day & age you don't need to be drunk to enjoy yourself or to play on stage. I have enough trouble playing sober, god help an audience if I ever played drunk! Luckily though I don't inflict my bad bass playing to an audience
LoudLon [moderator]
I'd love to see if I still have it in front of a crowd, man. For the past ten years or so I've been strictly a desktop player – meaning I only jam along to music on my PC in the privacy of my own home. I haven't played music with another musician or in front of a crowd even once in those ten years. And I miss that shit. Getting together with my pals, plugging in, telling somebody to play a riff and then joining in, creating the music as you go – I used to live for that shit. But work and family has taken up so much of my time these last ten years that I simply haven't had the opportunity.
softcell62
I think you'll find you are not alone LoudLon with the work & family situation. It applies to almost everyone in this site. It's a real shame that you don't have the opportunity these days to pursue what you dearly love.
LP
I played drunk once many years ago & it was a disaster. I can't function in that state. I admire anyone that can. After that I always played sober.
Marko1960
Haha, playing drunk, I've yet to play sober!
mayhem
I have played drunk a few times, I think things went okay. Prefer playing sober just so I can remember what the hell happened afterwards.
bass freak
Playing drunk, we've all done it but you learn to get over it.

Reply to this thread