0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Challenging Hip-Hop/Rap bass lines

linkinpark232
10 years ago
Report this message
Looking for some songs I can get a good challenge in that are hip-hop or rap. Preferably 80s or 90s as most new hip-hop or rap is trash and the lines are easy
LoudLon [moderator]
White Lines has one of the coolest bass lines of all time, rap or no. I tabbed it out for UG a while back, before I actually got back into playing bass, so I think I made some errors in a couple spots. Been considering making a new tab for BBT's but I already have a pretty long tabs-to-do list.

Bring the Noise (Anthrax & Public Enemy) has a simple but solid bass line. You brought up Kid Rock in that other thread – Bawitdaba also has a rather simple bass line but it's fun to play, with plenty of room for improv. Sabotage by Beastie Boys is another good one. I'll have to put on my thinking cap (or hop into my Way-Back Machine) and come up with some more for you.

Edit – Oh! The Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat) by Diggable Planets is a great bass line. I tabbed that for UG not long after I did White Lines, but I want to redo that one for BBT, too.
linkinpark232
Love White Lines! You wanna make one for World War 3 by Grandmaster? And yes Kid Rock Bawitdaba, learned that one tonight actually
linkinpark232
I Got One For Ya by Kid also has an awesome simple line to it
softcell62
I agree LoudLon, White Lines has a brilliant bassline.
mayhem
I don't normally like this stuff but credit where credit is due and White Lines is up there as one of the best basslines
Marko1960
Maybe not rap or hip hop but Groove is in the Heart by Dee Lite has a great bassline and its Bootsy Collins to boot
LoudLon [moderator]
If memory serves, Groove is in the Heart is pretty simple, too. A few small bits aside it's basically just…

Tabs:
G|-----------------|---4---6-4-------|
D|-----4---6-4-----|-----6----6-4h6--|
A|-------6-----6-4-|-----------------|
E|-4---------------|-----------------|
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

…played over and over again. But yeah, I agree, it's a nifty little lick.

Reply to this thread