0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Do you use your fingernails to play?

purplez
10 years ago
Report this message
I played classical guitar for quite a few years and nails are needed for that style, I still play with my nails on bass now.

Is this normal?
Sidsquishus
You need help, lad. Not normal.

Just joking

I personally don't play with my fingernails, and I keep them very short to prevent their catching on the strings. Could be useful for slap, I suppose, but I don't slap. Not in public anyway.
johnny [staff]
Absolutely zero fingernails on my left hand. I mostly play with a pick, so I'm not so particular about my right hand.
purplez
Quote:
You need help, lad. Not normal.Just joking I personally don't play with my fingernails, and I keep them very short to prevent their catching on the strings. Could be useful for slap, I suppose, but I don't slap. Not in public anyway.

I shape mine and file them etc, I have a whole technique to it.

I don't play slap either, I would hate to not use my nails, it would feel so weird to me.
LoudLon [moderator]
I don't play with my fingernails, no, unless I'm playing something which requires a couple fast 64th notes that I can't pluck fast enough. Then I'll form my index and thumb like I'm holding a pick, and pick with my index fingernail. But that doesn't happen very often.

That said, there are certain songs I can't keep up with with my fingers so I'll use a pick. Stuff like Dyer's Eve, for instance. Too fast for my stubby, crooked fingers to accurately keep up with.
Nah, its really all about sound and what you want. Me personally i keep my nails SHORT so as not to have that scratchy noise when i have my treble cranked on quite a few songs my band plays. I had them get a little too long and didnt clip them before a show one night and it didnt really ruin the show or anything bit it drove me nuts all three sets.

So all in all i just prefer the warm sound of skin on string. Keep on playing and have a sound that does it for you!
Sidsquishus
Perhaps your background in classical guitar provides an opportunity for something different - your own sound and style. I don't know what kind of strings are put on a classical guitar, but perhaps there is something similar in a bass string. Maybe a similar string string played with fingernails on the bass would prove interesting.
Marko1960
Haha, I haven't got any!
Quote:
I played classical guitar for quite a few years and nails are needed for that style, I still play with my nails on bass now.Is this normal?
It all depends on the kind of music you play. I mostly play metal so I use a pick. When I'm playing swing Jazz, I use my fingers because that is way it should be played. I use my nails on a rare, and I mean very rare occasions.
purplez
Quote:
Perhaps your background in classical guitar provides an opportunity for something different - your own sound and style. I don't know what kind of strings are put on a classical guitar, but perhaps there is something similar in a bass string. Maybe a similar string string played with fingernails on the bass would prove interesting.

Hmm.. you never know. it could become my signature sound?
No. I just don't like the sound nor the feel of it. I always keep my nails short on both hands. Plus, when your nails are trimmed, you get more “thump” when playing finger style.

Reply to this thread