0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

Sidsquishus
Nice work taking the face off the headstock with a handsaw. I don't think I could do that and keep it flat - there'd be dips and bumps from my saw work.
Marko1960
Thanks man, just a case of taking your time, there are woodworking machines out there that can do all the work in no time at all, but hand made means hand tools and a greater sense of satisfaction
Marko1960

FINALLY, one rosewood board, if i'd known it was gonna take so long i'd have grown my own!!
Marko1960

There's something you need to know about Rosewood, it's hard, VERY HARD!!! The radius profile is done with a profile sanding block, in this case, 20", some vicious sandpaper and tons of elbow grease. Expect to burn about 10,000 calories while sanding the radius and keep checking with a straight edge
IamMark
I posted a pic of the fret less bass Marko helped me build on Bass Musician Magazine's Facebook page.

I got almost 2000 likes and a bunch of shares and really nice comments.

Time to get crackin on #2.
Marko1960
Thats great Mark, cant beat a bit of positive feedback for your efforts
Marko1960

So, the fingerboard is finally glued to the neck, time to take a pause and go over some issues. The fingerboard arrived, approx, two and three quarter inches wide, 10mm thick and 27“ long. As I've already shown, I sanded the fingerboard profile ( in this case 20&rdquo, the next time I came back to it, the board had started to curve up at the sides, compensating for the difference in overall thickness. It wasn't a massive amount but enough to split the board whilst clamping, in the end I sanded the bow out and glued the board in place. Next came the routing of the final neck shape using the plywood profile and the curve of the fingerboard profile caused havoc. Also when glueing the board to the neck I used speed clamps as I had four of them to hand, this was also a nightmare!
So next time the plan of action will be, get the truss rod in, as soon as fingerboard arrives glue it to neck, cut final shape with router and profile, then sand fingerboard profile. I should have mentioned the use of ‘G’ clamps for the fingerboard as the give infinite adjustment. Another thing is that somehow the width at the nut is 1/8“ narrower than a Fender Jazz Bass but I can live with that, I'll make the headstock slightly thicker to compensate for the extra weakness it creates. The body end of the neck is about 3” too long at the minute, this is to allow for the tenon as the neck will be glued to the body. The next job is to take 5mm off the top of the fingerboard in my mates thicknesser, (remember the old saying, “A friend with a 12” thicknesser/surfacer is a friend indeed!&ldquo this means having to do the 20” profile again, can't wait!!
Overall though I'm fairly happy with the progress, not sure if this neck will end up on the proposed body but it will end up on something. One last thing, so far I've only spent £22 so can't complain really
Marko1960
That &Idquosmiley face thing only happens on BBT ( and very often! )
IamMark
How many hours have you put in so far?
Marko1960
I'd say less than four, maybe only three. Have you started on number two yet?

Reply to this thread