0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Tech Guys

IamMark
Ok, I think I understand. I was going to buy a pre-built 5-string fretless neck from Warmoth. If I'm reading you correctly, I need to have the neck in hand so I can measure the socket correctly. Or can I go ahead and cut the body for everything, but leave a chunck of wood at the socket area and do a final measurement and cut when I get the neck?

Then for using the router for those cuts, it seems like I'll need to make a couple of different jigs for those cuts. One jig for the neck socket, and another jig for the bass body itself, correct? Because I don't think I can put the neck socket jig on the body jig. There just won't be any lumber to use against the router gate. Am I right?
Marko1960
Get the neck first to make your template, and yes you will need to make a separate template for the socket and pick up routs
IamMark
Ok. I'm searching the Internet looking for good 5-string fretless necks). I'm not finding much other than Warmoth. Do you know of any sites that carry these for a decent price? I'm not opposed to getting a paddle head and cutting my own. I'd rather not for my first build, but I'm willing to try. Any websites you know of that can help me out?
Marko1960
I've looked and five string necks in general are few and far between
Marko1960
Allparts have a fretted one for $350
IamMark
Quote:
Allparts have a fretted one for $350
Warmoth has a nice 5-string fretless with an ebony fingerboard for $270. Any suggestions on what type of nut I should be considering?
Marko1960
Doesn't it come with a nut? If it doesn't have a Fender style nut slot then you need a Gibson style nut, Graphtech graphite ones are the best
IamMark
The Warmoth neck builder allows you to build out a neck with a nut. If you have them adhere it, it costs an extra $30. But I still need to cut it for the strings.

If I buy the nut separate, the graphite nut costs $5. And I still need to cut it.

I'm assuming the cutting is pretty precise work, but the mounting of a nut isn't that complicated, so I think when I order the neck, I'll not include the $30 nut, but buy the $5 nut separate.

Problem: the body blocks I'm finding online are 1.75“ thick, 14”x20“. I'm fine with the height of 14”, but my bass design from long horn to end is exactly 20 inches. Is this going to be a huge problem? Do I need excess wood around the design? I realize that once I router and sand it won't be exactly 20 inches, but should I look for a block larger than 20 inches? Because I'm not finding much that aren't less than $100. I really didn't want to spend more than $50 for a body block.
IamMark
Alright Marko, I'm getting things together now. I ordered an Alder body blank, and a Warmoth 5 string fretless neck (Maple neck with ebony fingerboard). I also bought the Gibson style black graphite nut.

Tomorrow I will head into town and by a few sheets of the 10mm plywood for my templates.

I'll need to look for a good bridge, pickups, and what sort of controls I want to have to get those router templates set up.

But I've spent enough money today. I'll save those items for another day.

Edit: just got an e-mail stating my neck order is a custom build and will take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Damn.

Marko1960
10 mm ply is ok for the outline of the body but we'll need some 18mm ply for the socket and pick up routs, 4'x 2' of each will be plenty. Get in touch with Warmoth and get the exact dimensions of the neck so we can make a plywood template and crack on with the body. Good choice with the Alder by the way

Reply to this thread