0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

What is a good intermediate bass?

purplez
10 years ago
Report this message
Don't want a cheap beginner bass, conversely I don't have £1000's to spend either..

It must be lefthanded and I like to play all styles of music.

Marko1960
The Squier Vintage Modified do lefties and are good quality and value, also the Epiphones are well built and good value, the MusicMan Sub, at around £400 are very good and it's a real MusicMan. Then for a little more cash there's the Mexican Fenders, I had a Mex Jazz Bass and couldn't fault it, but you don't have to spend 1000s anyway, the most popular bass of all is the Fender Precision and you can get one for under a grand. The most important thing is that it feels comfortable, isn't too heavy and is well set up
linkinpark232
Get a Thunderbird bass! They're only 300 and trust me, the neck dive is not that bad at all! All I do is put my strap to where the guitar sits below the waist and it's real easy to play. I play slap and pop, with a pick, and fingers and it sounds great! I wouldn't use it for jazz however I would reccomend it for rock and metal ESPECIALLY, funk, indie rock, alternative, Raegae, and pretty much everything else. One of the main reasons I play it is just for the humbuckers. I don't care how heavy it is because it sounds great even though the weight is not as bad as everyone says. And it doesn't feel awkward, I didn't have to move strap buttons. It stays close to my waist and I can fret easily. If you're looking to play metal, I wouldn't get a Fender. I had a Jaguar and played a P bass at a music store, definitely not Marilyn Manson and Slayer type of guitars. The pickups really matter most. Humbuckers are the way to go
Squier Vintage Modified series. They come in left hand models too. They have Duncan pickups, which are really punchy. They retail for around $299.99
purplez
Quote:
Get a Thunderbird bass! They're only 300 and trust me, the neck dive is not that bad at all! All I do is put my strap to where the guitar sits below the waist and it's real easy to play. I play slap and pop, with a pick, and fingers and it sounds great! I wouldn't use it for jazz however I would reccomend it for rock and metal ESPECIALLY, funk, indie rock, alternative, Raegae, and pretty much everything else. One of the main reasons I play it is just for the humbuckers. I don't care how heavy it is because it sounds great even though the weight is not as bad as everyone says. And it doesn't feel awkward, I didn't have to move strap buttons. It stays close to my waist and I can fret easily. If you're looking to play metal, I wouldn't get a Fender. I had a Jaguar and played a P bass at a music store, definitely not Marilyn Manson and Slayer type of guitars. The pickups really matter most. Humbuckers are the way to go

Try and find a lefty one! in my price range n/a…

Squier looks good nut they are about £300+ here(uk) with imports, worth that?
linkinpark232
There's one for 316 pounds that's a lefty. Just google a lefty Tbird. Seen me before. Or you could go Hendrix on it
Youri
I own a Fender Squier Classic Vibe 60's precision bass and it is great
Sidsquishus
Check Craigslist, Talkbass, etc., for a used bass. You'll have to look harder than those of us who play a righty, but you might find something. Sometimes you'll find something nice in a pawn shop as well. Cheers.
purplez
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass-70s-left-handed-natural/85229

Found this for £246 which is a good price.. but without playing it…?? does anyone know what the frets are like? I don't like large frets.

I have a yamaha six string guitar with big frets and I barely play it 'cos of that..
Marko1960
All Fenders use thin fret wire, Gibsons are like railway sleepers, and you don't need to buy a Gibson to get Humbuckers, not many people know that the P Bass pick up is a Humbucker, Leo split it to hide the fact and avoid legal action from Gibson. The best Humbucker on a bass is the MusicMan Stingray as designed by none other than Leo Fender
purplez
Quote:
All Fenders use thin fret wire, Gibsons are like railway sleepers, and you don't need to buy a Gibson to get Humbuckers, not many people know that the P Bass pick up is a Humbucker, Leo split it to hide the fact and avoid legal action from Gibson. The best Humbucker on a bass is the MusicMan Stingray as designed by none other than Leo Fender

That is good to know about the frets, thanks; its my birthday in a few days time..so maybe I'll treat myself?

Reply to this thread