0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

How are you supposed to accomplish this?

linkinpark232
10 years ago
Report this message
Tabs:
G|--------------------------------------|
D|-2-------------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------------|
E|-0-------------------------------------|
[i almost have all of This Was My Life by Megadeth learned but I have no clue what to do on this! It doesn't make sense how it's possible without hitting the A!
johnny [staff]
mute the A string or pluck with two fingers
Marko1960
Its an octave in E, pick the open E with your thumb while at the same time picking the E on the D string with your finger. Simples
an easier way to do that is play the open low E then do the octave E on the A string 7th fret.
LoudLon [moderator]
Is it safe to assume that you play with a pick, and don't know how you're supposed to strum the notes without hitting the A string in between? If like most folks you hold your pick with your thumb and index finger, just drop your middle or ring finger down to the D and pluck it while picking the open E. Easier still, lose the pick and thumb the open E. Just because it's metal doesn't mean you can't play it finger-style.
linkinpark232
Quote:
Is it safe to assume that you play with a pick, and don't know how you're supposed to strum the notes without hitting the A string in between? If like most folks you hold your pick with your thumb and index finger, just drop your middle or ring finger down to the D and pluck it while picking the open E. Easier still, lose the pick and thumb the open E. Just because it's metal doesn't mean you can't play it finger-style.

I know ain't gotta use a pick but it's easier for me and Ellefson uses a pick on this song I'm pretty sure which gives me the perfect tone for it
I agree with Bassguy1, otherwise I would personally play it like this: either use your index or middle finger and strike the D string upward and simultaneously striking downward with your thumb… Do whatever is comfortable for you though.
Quote:
I do play with a pick and I can in fact hit that chord without hitting the A. Also you make a valid point about using fingers with metal, I just like the sound the pick produces. I play Jazz too Lon and I have to use fingers for that. Good advice though. I'll keep it in mind
Another fun fact about that song. Their bassist uses a pick….
Quote:
Quote: Is it safe to assume that you play with a pick, and don't know how you're supposed to strum the notes without hitting the A string in between? If like most folks you hold your pick with your thumb and index finger, just drop your middle or ring finger down to the D and pluck it while picking the open E. Easier still, lose the pick and thumb the open E. Just because it's metal doesn't mean you can't play it finger-style. I know ain't gotta use a pick but it's easier for me and Ellefson uses a pick on this song I'm pretty sure which gives me the perfect tone for it
Picks are fun. 'Nuff said.
LoudLon [moderator]
Mind you I wasn't telling the guy he should NOT play with a pick, only that it's easier to hit such double notes playing finger-style and that picks aren't absolutely necessary when playing metal. I play mostly finger-style myself but I'll use a pick from time to time. I'd say I play roughly 70% finger-style, 30% pick.

Reply to this thread