0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Your top 10 favorite bassists

Zaresht
10 years ago
Report this message
Hey guys,it would be good to know who are our bass heros,so lets put down a list of our top 10 bass players.Here goes mine

1: Duff Mckagan (GunsnRoses): I gotta thank duff,I got so obsessed with his bass riffs,he really inspired me and still does.My first inspiration,I owe it all to him and love his bass.

2: Krist Novosellic (Nirvana): Although gnr and Nirvana had a nasty conflict,I still love listening to Nirvana and I find Krist's bass riffs amazing,he really is an underrated bassist in my opinion.

3: Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath): Mr Butler is one of the most influential bass players out there plus I love his style of playing and overall I love Sabbath and Ozzy.

4: Cliff Lee Burton (Metallica): Another great bass God who was taken before his time,amazing bass solos.RIP

5: Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers): Flea is like an fn bass legend when it comes to slap and pop,he is the guy.

6: Mike Dirnt (Greenday): For some reason I like Mike's work and Greenday too.I enjoy playing greenday's songs.

7: Steve Harris (Iron Maiden): Another amazing bassist,youve just got to love his work with maiden.

8: Roger Waters (Pink Floyd): Whenever it comes to playing pink floyd on bass,money is the song to learn.

9: John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin): Another influential bass player.

10: Paul Mc Cartney (Beatles): Probably the most renowned bassist.
LoudLon [moderator]
No particular order:

Flea – who doesn't like this dude's bass playing? Funk, pop, thrash, the guy can do it all.

Duff from G n' R – good call on this one. I always thought he was the most under-appreciated member of that band, and yes, that's with Izzy Stradlin on the table.

Krist Novoselic – a lot of his bass stuff gets lost under the heavy guitar distortion but even his sloppiest riffs have a good groove to them.

Cliff Burton – goes without saying, one of the greats. I've seen some folks disregard him, claiming he's held in high regard simply because he died young. But listen to his stuff and it's easily apparent the guy had mad skills.

Cliff Williams, from AC/DC. Like drummer Phil Rudd, his bass is effective without being overly flashy. Every riff he has serves the song without drawing attention to itself. In my mind, that's what a good bassist is supposed to do – work in tandem with the drummer to give a song its spine.

Robert DeLeo, from Stone Temple Pilots. He's almost the exact opposite of Cliff Williams in that he's always doing his own thing on the bass, but it still always feels right in the song. He's not afraid to go flowery under a heavy, grinding guitar riff, which adds an interesting counter-balance.

D'arcy Wretzky – she's like a female Cliff Williams, in that her stuff is simple but always serves the song. Plus I have a thing for female bass players. But then who doesn't?

Steve Harris – the galloping bassist. Everything this guy does is gold, far as I'm concerned.

Muzz Skillings, from Living Colour – talk about under-appreciated. Like Flea, this guy can do it all – funk, punk, thrash, pop, metal, you name it. Check out the LC song Open Letter to a Landlord. Dude's stuff is bad-ass.

Jeff Ament – the early 90s produced more than its fair share of exceptional bassists but for my money, he's the cream of the grunge crop.
1.sid vicious (sex pistols)
2.nigel (sex pistols experience)
3.john entwhistle (the who)
4.chris (muse)
5.glen matlock (sex pistols)
6.ashley cooper (mark it zero)
7.the guy from blondie (blondie)
8.bruce foxton (the jam)
9.rory lyons (uk subs)
10.mike drint (green day)
DANNYBASSMAN93 [top submitter]
1. Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) / Mark King (the father of the slapping the bass)
2. Geddy Lee (Rush)/Jaco Pastorious (His jazz basslines and solos were killer)
3. John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
4. Les Claypool (He's the man at the bass)
5. John Entwistle (The Who)/John Taylor (Duran Duran)
6. Cliff Burton (Metallica) /Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
7. Paul Gray (Slipknot)/Chris Wolstenholme (MUSE)
8. Gene Simmons (KISS) (His live performance is legeendary, no to menton the black and white demon can rock)
9. Doug Wimbish & Stu Hamm (Played with Joe Satriani)
10. Mark Hoppus (Blink-182)/Kim Deal(The Pixies)/Mike Dirnt(Greenday)

The only reason paul isnt is my list, hes too over rated
linkinpark232
I don't how I could put any of this in order so I have no specific order.

Twiggy (Marilyn Manson)
Geddy Lee (Rush)
David Ellefson (Megadeth)
Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted (Metallica)
Flea (RHCP)
Fieldy (Korn)
Rex Brown (Pantera and Down)
Phoenix (Linkin Park)
Tom Araya (Slayer)
Jared Followil (Kings of Leon)
bass freak
Peter Hook (Joy Division + New Order)
Les Pattinson (Echo & The Bunnymen)
Jah Wobble (Public Image Limited)
Derek Forbes (Simple Minds)
Bruce Foxton (The Jam)
Paul Simonon (The Clash)
Sting (The Police)
Adam Clayton (U2)
Jean-Jaques Burnel (The Stranglers)
Michael Dempsey (The Cure/Associates/The Lotus Eaters)
James Jamerson(Motow)
Antony Jackson(Chaka Khan)
Chuck Rainey(Stelly Dan)
Lee Sklar(Phil Collins)
Jimmy Haslip(Yellow Jackets)
Fred Washinghton(Patrice Rushen)
Abraham Laboriel(Lee Ritenour)
Dave Hungate(Toto)
Nathan East(Four Play)
Jamil Johanes(Black Rio)

Towelie
No particular order:

Jack Bruce - Cream
John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin
John Entwistle - The Who
Geddy Lee - Rush
Dan Maines - Clutch
Norman Watt Roy - Ian Dury & The Blockheads
Bruce Thomas - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Greg Lake - King Crimson/Emerson Lake & Palmer
Jeffrey Hammond - Jethro Tull
Eric Wilson - Sublime
budz410
No Victor? He's definitely different but incredibly skilled and talented. But heres my 10 in no order.

-Victor Wooten
-Flea
-Louis Johnson
-Bootsy Collins
-Les Claypool
-Geddy Lee
-Jaco Pastorious
-Stanley Clark
-Marcus Miller
-Larry Graham
I love Funk so the gross majority of my favorite bassist are funk musicians.. Meshell Ndegeocello is a pretty good funk bassist as well, check her out
linkinpark232
I'm not sure how I forgot this man but Nikki Sixx
Marko1960
No particular order
Geddy Lee, Rush
Les Claypool, Primus
Jah Wobble, PiL
John Entwhistle, The Who
Billy Sheehan, Steve Vai Band
Carlos Dengler, Interpol
James Jamerson, Motown
John Taylor, Duran Duran