0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Pick or Finger?

VitalSigns2112
11 years ago
Report this message
Do you play with pick or with your fingers? I've played guitar for quite sometime, so when starting on bass, I found it much more comfortable to play with pick. It's almost like I can work my way around the strings faster (I play 5 string) and it feels more natural to me. However I am trying to get into the habit of picking with my fingers. Any tips for finger picking/slapping?
Scooga
I can use both when play old school R&B I use my fingers, when playing Rock I use a pick and my fingers. theirs a tune by the Average White Band called (School Boy Crush)it sounds better with a pick.
Quote:
Do you play with pick or with your fingers? I've played guitar for quite sometime, so when starting on bass, I found it much more comfortable to play with pick. It's almost like I can work my way around the strings faster (I play 5 string) and it feels more natural to me. However I am trying to get into the habit of picking with my fingers. Any tips for finger picking/slapping?
The lighter you hit the strings with your fingers, the faster you'll be able to play using them.
Chopps
Different bass players use both for some songs others are exclusive to one or the other. Paul McCartney uses a pic very often as does JJ Burnell. Im trying to figure out if all of Social D is played with a pick, sounds like it to me
to me it depends on the song. i get a bit of a different sound between the 2
Youri
Both, depends of the sound I want
linkinpark232
Slap is extremely simple. From your thumbnail, use you FIRST knuckle closet to the nail and flick the wrist on the string. And pop is simple also. Simply just pluck the string with your finger from below. Besides that I play with picks. It's easier to move around and I just like the sound better
I strongly believe every bassist should be able to do both. As it has been noted from above, it is a preference and I choose to play fingers.

I play faster with fingers than using a pick.

I can manipulate my rig and gear to sound like I'm using a pick if a certain song requires it.

Whether a person chooses to play “fingers or pick” it all boils down to: “what feels comfortable”
LoudLon [moderator]
Both, but the majority of the time I play finger style.
I mostly use a pick because I play a ton of metal, but I have been known to get down with my bad self and do a little slap.

Reply to this thread