0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Which bands/genres/bassists have influenced your playing style the most?

MelVinMaSsaCrE
11 years ago
Report this message
For me, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, No Doubt, Lacuna Coil, Bob Marley and The Birthday Massacre have influenced how I play. When I write or doodle around, I find myself writing punk, reggae/ska, metal (on the 5 string), or an alternative sounding line. So, the bassists would be Flea, Tony Kanal, Marco Coti-Zelati, Family Man, and Nate Manor.
johnny [staff]
For me, it's mostly Mr. Big, one of my favorite bands. My guitar playing is influenced a lot by Paul Gilbert (as I am a guitarist primarily), and I try to look up to Billy Sheehan for my bass playing.

I really like red hot chili peppers and try to play stuff by them, and I also really love John Frusciante's solo albums, they're really really great, they also have some cool bass lines in them (Flea plays on some songs).

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone with a more guitar themed nature of this post , so I'll just mention another favorite guitarist of mine (and a great influence): Dick Dale. I think he's the coolest.
Sidsquishus
Punk, original first generation 1976-1980 stuff. I started playing because the local punk band needed a bass player, so this is the sort of material I first learned.

Later, I started learning classic songs from lots of genres, from blues and country to classic rock to grunge. The old classic stuff from the 1950's through 1960's is great for turn arounds, etc., within a scale - not something punk did.

Through the requests list here, I've learned of some great music (e.g. Divine Fits, Graffitti6) that I would not have heard otherwise.
i think i love you now sid… i mainly play punk. uh billy from mr big is big for me tho. les claypool. fat mike in some ways. jerry only. . misfits from the old albums are great for fun and for newbies to learn to play a real song. skulls for example is great for teaching people. and tv casualty. guitar… BUCKETHEAD! lol
Tenz
Mostly Pink Floyd, (Rodger Waters), Led Zeppelin (John Paul Jones), and Rush (Geddy Lee). Also, Primus (Les Claypool).
Nate Mendel (Foo Fighters), Crist Novasellic (Nirvana), Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers), and Eric Bass (Shinedown).
bass freak
Too many to mention that I really admire. I will just state that Hooky from JD + NO is my hero!
floyd is amazing yep.
Cookies
It's punk for me too, Fat Mike, Krist Novasellic and Flea. The first songs I learnt, the bands that got me playing, were Smashing Pumpkins and Blink 182.
Geddy Lee, Krist Novoselic, and Fat Mike.
Scooga
Louis Johnson(Brothers Johnson) Nathan Watts(Stevie Wonder) Peanut(Cameo) James Jamerson, Bob Babbit(Motown) their are a lot more funky bass players out to many to name I love their bass lines. Besides their being hard play and theirs no tabs for these groups I had to learn by ear. HARD!!!

Reply to this thread