0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Chowny bass?

Marko1960
Is Rockabilly making a comeback? Nah, theyre not for me, the combination of short scale and a crappy compensator bridge lead to intonation problems, and dont get me started on hollow bodies and feedback, thats why solid guitars came about in the first place
Guinny
Marko is right about the bridge. Intonation is a problem but it isn't terrible.

I have the Eastwood model of this bass. I'm pretty sure the Chowny bass is from the same factory. The build quality is good the only downfall is the hardware. It is cheap and you will eventually end up having to replace it.

I am happy with mine though, as it is a lot of fun to play and sounds great. If you are thinking about using this bass as your main bass I wouldn't recommend it. It does have a wide tone range, but it can only go so far. I shoved a towel inside mine and it has helped with the low end. and I did listen to Marko and went and bought $100 flat wound strings.

Here is a couple of pics of mine.

Hi Guinny/Marko

I can't say whether or not Eastwood is made in the same factory as our basses, as the factories don't really discuss that with us.

However I can say that the quality of the parts is not an issue.

When we had our first prototypes made we were not happy with the quality of the parts, so issued an upgrade throughout to high quality parts from Korea rather than stock parts from China. We also have bone nut rather than plastic. If you read/watch the reviews http://www.guitar-bass.net/gear/bass-guitars/chowny-bass-chb-1-review/ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjlip2IpbcI you will see that are happy with them.

We also have a review coming out in Bass Guitar Magazine shortly.

The intonation can be set quite accurately, and unless you violently bash the bass around, will stay fixed. As it's a semi-hollow there is no feedback issues.

I suggest you find somewhere to give one a try.

Kind Regards
Stephen @ Chowny Bass
Quote:
...I suggest you find somewhere to give one a try.Kind Regards Stephen @ Chowny Bass
Hi Stephen, I couldn't find a distributor in Europe. Is there any?
Guinny
Hi Stephen,

Excellent move to have the hardware upgraded. I did a review for Eastwood on their version of this bass ( they call theirs the “Classic 4” )and upgrading the hardware was my only suggestion to them. Hopefully they will listen because the pegs are a little loose inside and the volume/tone knobs are tarnished - I have only had the bass for about 8 months.

I've never had any feedback from my bass.
Hi Jay. We're in the process of looking for retailers in Germany. And other areas will follow. We've only got UK dealers so far.

That being said - we offer a 100% satisfaction return policy. Even to Europe. So if you did decide to take a leap of faith and order one, and you weren't happy with it - we'd send a courier to collect it again provided you still had the original packaging.

Guinny - yes. Upgrading was a no-brainer. It obviously meant a bump to the cost - but we still think it's amazing value for the price range it sits in.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Kind Regards
Stephen @ Chowny Bass
Guinny
Just one last comment, Stephen. If you have any influence on the design - consider placing the strap nut on the side of the upper horn rather than on the back of the bass. Many of the hollow body players I know say it allows for a better balance.

This picture below illustrates the positioning.

I had a look at your site and I must say I love the look of the black Chowny. Very nice.

Marko1960
.Thanks for your feedback guys. Kind Regards Stephen @ Chowny Bass
I thought you said there was none, lol. I'd suggest a tune-o-matic bridge, although having not played one I'll have to take your word on the lack of intonation problems. Good luck with them anyway, not everyone wants a Fender clone
purplez
Chownybass do you have any lefties in purple??

Quote:
Hi Jay. We're in the process of looking for retailers in Germany...
That would be Music Store, Thomann or Musik Produktiv, I guess. Key Music are also a large company with multiple stores in Belgium and The Netherlands.

Reply to this thread