0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Modification of headstock for better balance

IamMark
I found a local wood supplier that deals with old hardwoods. Mostly used in old 19th and early 20th century barns in Northern Virginia.

Not sure how some of the old Walnut and sycamore woods would work out on a bass, but I'm willing to give them a try.
Marko1960
Walnut is very heavy and not really known for its tonal qualities and sycamore is maples big brother and therefore ideal for the job. Also, sycamore is more abundantly figured than maple, but its maples rarity in the, flame/quilt/birdseye varieties that makes it sought after
Leiria
Quote:
Walnut is very heavy and not really known for its tonal qualities
Didn't know you believed in tone woods
Tone woods…. Do they exist? For acoustic instruments, yes. For an electric bass I think stiffness of the entire construction is way more important. We don't want resonances in the frequency range of the instrument. Energy shouldn't be lost in the wood.

Regarding walnut, I'm afraid the structure isn't suitable for a neck.
Marko1960
Although very finite, its true, the density of different woods behave in different ways, try this experiment, take two body blanks of different species, sprinkle salt over both, tap a tuning fork and place on each in turn and observe how the salt settles, this is proof of tonality. How this translates to the human ear is a different thing altogether. Solid bodies came about as an attempt to do away with a rooms acoustics feeding back into a guitar top and starting a chain reaction known as feedback. In 1966 two albumns, Paul Butterfields ‘East West’ and John Mayalls ‘Bluesbreakers’ showed the Les Pauls ability to ‘Feedback’ at high volume despite being constructed from mahogany and maple in a solid lump.

Bosh
Difficult… Two years ago I compared four brandnew G&L Tribute L2000's. Two of them had a basswood body and two had a swamp ash body. I couldn't hear the difference. The difference in weight, however, was pretty clear. I bought the blueburst swamp ash one, because of the weight balance (and the looks ).
Marko1960
Jay, ive found a cheap Steinberger style bridge on ebay, i typed in ‘Headless Bass Bridge’ and a few brand new ones came up complete with headpiece and allen keys all for under £25, ideal for a first build. I need to make a new neck for my bass number two so i've decided to get one of these and make it headless. BOSH
Quote:
Jay, ive found a cheap Steinberger style bridge on ebay, i typed in ‘Headless Bass Bridge’ and a few brand new ones came up complete with headpiece and allen keys all for under £25, ideal for a first build. I need to make a new neck for my bass number two so i've decided to get one of these and make it headless. BOSH
That's certainly not expensive. I found some headless sets too, mostly made in China. I couldn't find data about string spacing at both sides. I don't want strings to be to close to each other because of my hands. They're not gigantic, but far too big for Ibanez SoundGear like necks.
Quote:
Quote: Jay, ive found a cheap Steinberger style bridge on ebay, i typed in ‘Headless Bass Bridge’ and a few brand new ones came up complete with headpiece and allen keys all for under £25, ideal for a first build. I need to make a new neck for my bass number two so i've decided to get one of these and make it headless. BOSH

That's certainly not expensive. I found some headless sets too, mostly made in China. I couldn't find data about string spacing at both sides. I don't want strings to be too close to each other because of my hands. They're not gigantic, but far too big for Ibanez SoundGear like necks.
Marko1960
these ones are made in China, what isnt these days? Its not a very good pic but the headpiece seems to have a built in nut, whereas the original Steinberger uses a zero fret, so thats a bonus

Reply to this thread