0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Resident Reggae Expert?

Guinny
I was hoping to get some feedback on roots reggae. I want to understand the theory behind the style and what makes a good reggae bassist. I'm familiar with the music but I have never really played reggae with any understanding of the style. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

This is also a way for me to justify having to buy a new bass. Ya can't play reggae with a hollow body…
Leiria
Just turn the tone knob all the way down.

Personally I cant help you much on what you're asking but I would recommend you learning songs you like and not just listening to the bass line, but to how it fits in the song. Try looking at it from all the other instruments perspective (how it fits with the drums, guitar, vocals, etc.). It'll take a while but you'll develop your own reggae-like style- If you're into theory you can also try to find some things on that. Wikipedia usually has a description of the most used scales and whatnot on the articles for music genres
Marko1960
Yeah, you've got to listen to other Reggae bassists, Aston Barrett for instance. In Reggae the bass is more of a lead instrument, playing melodic riffs which aren't always locked in with the drums but is always a riff, (repeating rhythm pattern). Try listening to Stir It Up by Bob Marley and the Wailers, Barretts cheerful little bass riff sets the balance and carries the song
IamMark
Bass in reggae is a strange timing thing too. I can't quite describe it, but the good bass players in reggae sound like they're playing a nano-second behind the rest of everyone. It creates that relaxed feel that almost sounds like the rhythm is dragging behind.
Guinny
Thanks for the replies.

IamMark, your comment on timing is very true and it is one of the reasons I am coming to appreciate Reggae more now than I ever have. They not only play behind but also ahead and sometimes within. As Marco mentioned, Barret does this well as does Devon Bradshaw.

We do not have much in terms of tabs for Reggae on this board, would any of you be able to recommend another site for Reggae tabs?

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.
Marko1960
Why not just put some requests up
Make sure you are using flatwound strings. Aston Barrett is the man, the real creator of the roots reggae sound. Check out his work with the Hippy Boys as well as the Wailers. Another great one to listen and learn from is Flabba Holt, found on many of Gregory Isaac's best albums. I play reggae almost exclusively and have found that by listening and playing along to the greats, the rhythm and heart follow. Reggae is really about playing with your heart and feeling..who feels it knows it
Marko1960
Rodney is our new resident Reggae exper, welcome aboard Rodney
Guinny
Thanks, Rodney.

I'm not making this up. I just bought this album this afternoon!

IamMark
Quote:
Rodney is our new resident Reggae exper, welcome aboard Rodney
He sort of has to be with a name like reggae rodney.

Unless it's like one of those situations where a guy goes by the name “Tiny” but he's 300 pounds.

Reply to this thread