0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

My 2 cents

Chopps
4 years into this bass thing and im addicted. One thing I am 100% sure about is $$$.
I have played every bass on the planet. $30.000 basses 60'S and 70's J basses, Warwicks the lot… I'll take my $300 Thunderbird, $329 Squire J and My $800 Aerodyne(SS p/u) over all of them and punch a hole thru any wall out there thru my ampeg.. God I love the bass
Marko1960
A Skoda will get you from A to B just as good as a Bentley
johnny [staff]
I agree. People sometimes believe that better equipment will make you a better player. Only practice does that.
IamMark
You know… it's interesting you bring this up. I work hard for my income (hahah, ok, ‘hard’ is an exaggeration), but I don't have a huge checking account that allows me to spend whatever on whatever anytime I want. So I have to make what I do spend work for me.

That being said, a friend of mine has three Taylor acoustic guitars. Each of them costs between $3,000 - $5,000. And he swears by them. I'm not sure there is that significant of a difference in feel, tone, and quality from a $1,000 Martin to a $5,000 Taylor. But he argues there is. I don't know. I don't play acoustic guitars.

My only point of reference are the bass guitars I play and see others play. I rarely see a bass in the $4,000 range unless its some vintage bass with historical significance, or if it's a signature series that's in limited production.

I'd have a hard time shelling out that kind of cash for an instrument that I can just as easily get the same amount of joy from a $400 bass. I don't think I can appreciate the differences in finish quality or resonance for that kind of price difference.

But back to my friend… I'm looking to buy an acoustic bass, and I'm diggin the Washburns. But my friend scoffs at these because they're not expensive like his Taylors. I don't get it. Why is there such a stigma with instruments that don't cost the price of a good kidney?
Marko1960
Basically your friend is a f#£%ing idiot with too much cash
IamMark
HA! It would be wrong for me to call my friend an idiot.

But I also wouldn't argue with Marko.
The first bass I got was only $90. I plan on working for a couple months to buy a 12 string bass. It is $700 (on sale from $1100) but you won't find a cheaper 12 string.
Marko1960
I found a Dean Rhapsody 12 string bass for $677.47 with free shipping on eBay. New, not used
2nick3
While better equipment won't make you a better player, sometimes worse equipment will make you a worse player. I started out with a Squier Affinity P-Bass, and saw a noticeable improvement in my playing when I upgraded to a MIM P-Bass. I didn't realize how much I was fighting that Affinity. A better setup might have helped, but the neck just wasn't very playable, and there was a noticeable sound quality improvement through the amp as well.
I guess that's why some musicians stop playing after a while. It doesn't feel right, it doesn't sound right, so they sell their instrument. A proper setup and/or a better quality instrument might have kept them playing.

Reply to this thread