0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

ANYONE PLAYED A 12 STRING BASS?

IamMark
How are they tuned? Are the three strings the same as a power chord? So the “E” string is accompanied by a “B” and an octave up “E”?
Quote:
How are they tuned? Are the three strings the same as a power chord? So the “E” string is accompanied by a “B” and an octave up “E”?
I think it's EEE AAA DDD GGG.
Quote:
I think it's EEE AAA DDD GGG.

Correct I believe. The idea is it produces a chorus like effect, so it sounds like you have three basses instead of one. A situation where this might be useful is in three piece band (guitar, bass, drums). The guitar goes into a solo leaving the bass and drums to hold down the rhythm, causing the sound to thin out (unless the guitarist has a loop pedal, which I always thought was cheating a little bit). Four piece bands avoid this problem by having a dedicated rhythm guitar but in a three piece, the bassist could play one of these and add to the fullness of the sound. Or at least that is how it was explained to me.
Marko1960
Yeah, its basically E A D G with each string having a pair of octaved strings, both tuned the same. It an 8 string with an extra octave.
2nick3
A lot of the time the two octave strings on the 12 will be tuned off pitch a bit - one just a bit high, one just a bit low. As The Bassist said, it gives a fuller sound.

Reply to this thread