0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Chris Squire of Yes RIP!

Marko1960
A sad loss, rip
johnny880
I am a big Yes fan and a Chris Squire fan. I have been trying to duplicate his sound ever since I got my Ric. Its a 4003 newer with the option of the 4001 pickup. Which I use mainly. Only gear I have is a Boss ME 20-B multi effects pedal and a old MXR 100 Phase Shifter. And a small ampeg amp. I know he used multiple effects, tricks and wizadry to get his sound. Any tips on how I can duplicate or closely resemble his sound with what I have. Sorry about reviving a old thread but thought I should check the forum before I posted this.
LP
I can't believe it's been over 3 years since we lost Chris! Such a wonderful bassist. Must play some Yes today.
johnny880
Yes it was a sad day. I really felt that loss. Didn't see that one coming. And then you see guys like Keith Richards that look like the walking dead. No offence Keith.
johnny880
So if any of you guys can give me some tips on how to tweak that sound I would appreciate it. I just cant get it right.
Marko1960
Quote:
I can't believe it's been over 3 years since we lost Chris! Such a wonderful bassist. Must play some Yes today.
Yes today by the Beatles? I think Paul McArtney played bass on that one.

I think Squires sound relied more on treble than bass, that's how Geddy Lee had he's 4001 set up to make the most of the Rickenbacker ‘clank’, and he's sound was similar to Squires, they even had trebly vocals!
johnny880
He does have a lot of treble I give you that but he has a growl to it. I just cant figure out the right kind of effects he was using. Geddy Lee mostly plays Fender Jazz in the later years. I wonder why he changed. Maybe the slimmer neck. The Ric is heavy and does have a much thicker neck than most basses. I know when I play my short scale basses for to long when my hand is hurting and go back to the Ric. Damn it feels like a tank.
johnny880
I have to add something though. Even considering its size and weight and not so slim neck. Its the best sounding bass I have. There is nothing like that sound anywhere. Just something about them that other basses don't have. Imo.
Marko1960
I lost my pet newt, Tiny, the same day that Chris went.

…I called him Tiny cos he was my newt
MotorMog
Quote:
I lost my pet newt, Tiny, the same day that Chris went.…I called him Tiny cos he was my newt

You just be lonely

Reply to this thread