0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Buying an upright bass. Need help.

IamMark
Has anyone bought an upright bass? Either locally, on line, or traveled far and wide to find the right one?

Music shops don't normally carry these, and the few string shops here sell High School band grade basses like Shens.

I'm a talk guy, 6'5", so I'm looking for something substantial, like a 3/4 bass.

Any advice on what to look for, best way to go about buying one, problems you've had with your upright, etc.

Lay it on me. I want to get one by the end of this summer.

For my first upright, I'd like to keep it under $2,500.
Sidsquishus
I suggest you take this to the Double Bass forum on TalkBass.com. You'll likely get some answers there. cheers
Marko1960
Mind if I ask why? I've played one and all I can say is thank god for Leo Fender!
IamMark
Haha, Marko. I live the electric bass, but I also love the sound of a 3/4 upright.
Leiria
This thread is somewhat old, but I found this on TalkBass. It also has links for video lessons and a link to luthier advice for buying a bass.

http://wiki.talkbass.com/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Guide_to_buying_a_Double_Bass
Marko1960
Quote:
Haha, Marko. I live the electric bass, but I also love the sound of a 3/4 upright.
Yeah it is a nice sound but its like playing a telephone box! I'd try and find a Line6 Bass off the internet, they are no longer made but they were amazing, and you can set the sound to upright bass

Reply to this thread