0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

What are we missing?

LoudLon [moderator]
What if we made submitting a tab a process? A drop-down list of artists to choose from, then enter the song name (make sure it's spelled properly), then enter the tab, submit, a preview of the tab as it would appear on the site so you can fix any mistakes, then a final submit.

It's more involved, yes, but it would also (hopefully) weed out those who are normally too lazy to bother with spell-checking the artist/song name. Just because anyone can submit a tab doesn't mean they shouldn't have to meet a certain standard.
Sidsquishus
A drop down list of artists sounds good, but I see big problems: the list would be a mile long (I mean literally hundreds of band/artist names) and the list would never be complete (there would always be another theme song or artist not yet on the list that someone has a tab for).

I already dislike the lengthy list of destination countries/provinces/states to select from when arranging shipping - there would be far more artists than this.

If something along this line were attempted, I suggest an autofill - suggestions pop up based on the letters typed in when filling in the artist blank (e.g. type hol and Hole, Hollow, Holly and the Italians, Buddy Holly, etc. pop up). This would suffer from the same issue of incompleteness as the drop down, however.

As far as getting artist and song name spellings correct, I think the only way to get there is for that to be part of the approval process for submitted tabs - which means it will only be as good as the effort that persons approving tabs can bring to bear. Perhaps this should be enough to reject a tab - it remains in a person's pending folder until they go back and correct the misspellings. Maybe a message to the submitter - your tab can't be approved because the artist/band/song name is not correct. Again though, there are going to be submissions for anime/tv theme songs or local/regional artists where it could be impossible for someone in a holler in Kentucky or Slovenia to know how it should be spelled.

If a person is too lazy to find out and spell the artist and song names correctly, and their misnamed tab lingers long in limbo (unrated, unviewed, and unloved) tough luck. Given that they can't get the names right, I wouldn't expect much from their tab either.
LoudLon [moderator]
Yeah, auto-fill trumps drop-down list. I mentioned that on the previous page; the biggest problem with that (and a drop-down list, as well) is having to go through the entire archive, collecting every variously spelled artist's name and correct them with the properly spelled name. Still, it would be worth the effort, I think, if it means a more organized archive. And if it happens to be an artist who's not already in the archive, the tabber could have the option to enter a new artist – pending the approval of staff after they've confirmed proper spelling and what-not.

I'm not sure about the tab rejection thing, though. Ultimate-guitar has a rejection system that gives the boot to even good tabs if they don't meat UG's overly fickle template. I had a number of tabs rejected there, and it was that frustration which ultimately led to me discovering BBT. I like that anyone can submit a tab – but as I mention above, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held to a certain standard, at least as far as getting the damn band name and song title right. It's so simple to google a song or band name so there's no excuse for getting them wrong, other than pure laziness.
Leiria
Personally Id like some help when tabbing since Im not really good. Maybe some kind of “Work in Progress” stamp so others can see what has been done so far and leave suggestions. Dont know if anyone would want that but Id enjoy it alot (assuming people actually come in and help)
Sidsquishus
Quote:
Personally Id like some help when tabbing since Im not really good. Maybe some kind of “Work in Progress” stamp so others can see what has been done so far and leave suggestions. Dont know if anyone would want that but Id enjoy it alot (assuming people actually come in and help)

This is what, IMO, the Duran Duran thread here is supposed to be. While there has been less collaborative tabbing than I'd hoped for, it is working as work-in-progress test bed. As I work on a DD song request, I'll post what I've got so far (which is usually wrong in some way) and ask for feedback - sounds right or not? That helps make the final, submitted tab a good one.
LoudLon [moderator]
Oh, another change I'd like to see, though I'm sure there will be some who won't like hearing it, is that we shouldn't be able to rate our own tabs. We're all guilty of it – me included (two or three of my earliest tabs, anyway, and I felt like a total heel for doing it and haven't done it since) – but it's misleading to users who look that tab up.

Only other users should be able to rate your tab; rating it yourself is like writing a book and including a quote from yourself on the cover saying it's the greatest novel ever written. It's just not kosher.
johnny [staff]
I'm all for changing the submission process a bit!

An auto-suggest textbox is the most appropriate widget (dropdowns wouldn't work with ~5000 artists)

Yours is a simple fix lon (disable rating on your own tabs), so I'll do this now. (edit: done!)
LoudLon [moderator]
I'm still showing a rating option on my tabs. Afraid to try it and make sure it doesn't work for fear that the rating will stick lol
Marko1960
How about getting rid of these mad pop ups, especially the one that says ive got a text message from MOM.
A, she hasnt got a mobile phone, and
B, there isnt a single person in the UK who uses the word ‘MOM’
IamMark
Marko's surfing those fetishes sites again.

Reply to this thread