0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Finger-pickers: Greasy fingers, help or hindrance?

Towelie
10 years ago
Report this message
I've noticed that when I play immediately after eating greasy food like pizza, having greasy finger tips on my picking hand makes it considerably easier to play faster songs. My fingers don't get hung up on the strings. I've mentioned this to my guitar playing buddies and they think I'm nuts. They say it makes it much more difficult because their fingers tend to slip and hit the wrong strings. I'm not a gigging player, so I don't know what it's like to play whilst dripping in sweat, but my guitar buddies say it's just the worst. Do you guys find having greasy or sweaty fingers are a help or a hindrance?
jt4ever
Have to say i've never played my bass that way, but hey whatever works for you!
Youri
I would recommend clean fingers, if you want to do it a lot, use medium-light strings
I hate getting grease on my strings ^^
Leiria
Quote:
I've noticed that when I play immediately after eating greasy food like pizza, having greasy finger tips on my picking hand makes it considerably easier to play faster songs. My fingers don't get hung up on the strings. I've mentioned this to my guitar playing buddies and they think I'm nuts. They say it makes it much more difficult because their fingers tend to slip and hit the wrong strings. I'm not a gigging player, so I don't know what it's like to play whilst dripping in sweat, but my guitar buddies say it's just the worst. Do you guys find having greasy or sweaty fingers are a help or a hindrance?

I usually just get them sweaty but it has the same effect and yes I do find it helpful but only for fast stuff. Its a bit annoying when you have to play slower
IamMark
Hi, I'm Mark. I'm a bit of a germephobe.

*waits for group to acknowledge with a “Hi Mark!”*

I can't stand having oily or greasey skin and hands. I am constantly wsshing my hands. I wash my hands before I play my bass, then immediately after I play my bass.

I've never thought about having greasey fingers to improve my playing though, because I can't get past the icky factor of having oil and grease on my strings.

Reply to this thread