0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

String squeak

Woppa
10 years ago
Report this message
I am sick of my strings squeaking. I love rotosound steels, but hate the squeak. Already using fast fret. Looking to switch to either half wounds or coated strings on one of my guitars to see how it works out. Don't want flatwounds as I will lose too much tone. I play indie, rock, metal. I don't want to waste a fortune on several sets of strings, so any advice?
Marko1960
Half wounds or coated will cure the problem, it's the round wire winding that causes the squeak
Sidsquishus
I am using D'Addario Half Rounds for this reason. They work for me, but I also like flatwounds and tapewounds (and tapeworms), so the Half Rounds might not be bright enough for you. The D'Addario halfrounds aren't too expensive though, so it won't hurt too much to try a set out. I have 71s on a jazz bass and 72s on a precision bass.

Another option is better finger technique, but that eluded me as I am lazy and don't practice near enough.
Best of luck. Let us know what strings you settle on! cheers
Woppa
Thanks for your answers. The squeak has reduced as I have improved technically, but when using some effects it comes back with a vengeance. I could probably eq it out, but do not want to change my tones too drastically in doing so. This is why I want to try a string change. I run through a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Pro for pre amp and effects, a Peavey Tour 700 then an Ashdown 410H. I also have the option on plugging into a Peavey PA for reinforcement. Has anyone tried the coated strings (DR/Elixir) and do they work/last? Also was looking at Rotosound pressure wounds?
linkinpark232
I use round wounds and I play lots of Kings Of Leon and Black Keys then will switch to Marilyn Manson and Slayer. They're great in my opinion
Sidsquishus
5stringguy uses DR coated strings and recommended them to me when I asked about them - I had heard the coating flaked off very quickly especially if playing with a pick but 5stringguy said he had not had this problem and he plays with a pick. I wanted to try coated roundwounds to see if I could get the roundwound sound without the screech. I haven't put them on a bass yet, though.
Woppa
Anyone tried coated strings? or pressure wounds?
Cheekychuck
I have the colored DR strings for my son's bass. Apparently the newer ones don't flake as bad as the first generation. A pick would probably speed up that process.

Whenever I get string squeak( usually from washed hands), I just wipe my fingers on my forehead for the natural skin oil. It helps
Woppa
I have gone for Elixirs on my BC Rich Vortex they are in the post. Just switched it to a BEAD. If it works, will try on my other stuff. Cheers for the suggestions everyone!!!

Reply to this thread